IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just got off the phone(long distance) with my daughter, Fisherlady76, well to make this short she split the sheets with GOMER PILE!!
Now Gomer wont give her the fishen geer I gave her, and she wants to fish, like her dad.
She needs a reel, spinning, as she well not try a bait caster, (BIRD NEST TIME)
So I have been looken at a penn Jarvis Walker 8500 Black/Gold.
She uses it out of the boat, Bank, ect,
mostly off the bank, she fishes for chinooks, steelhead, and some time in the ocean.
My Question is, what reels out there, that well work for her, and for the fish she hunts??

Thanks for the INFO on this, she wants to go as she says A.S.A.P. So Good old Dad says LET'S GO.

TIGHT LINES Mr.A

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Mr A.

Check out an Okuma reel. I have the Avenger 30 series strung up on all my spinning rods and they make excellent steelhead outfits.

A size 40 may hold enough line to go after salmon, but I really wouldn't test it.

Gi Joes has them on sale right now for under $30.

Give 'em try, she might like it.
Chris :cool:

[ 07-01-2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: FWF1 ]

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hay THANKS Chris and Grantspaster I well head down to our G>I>Joes tomorrow,
Thanks Again. Leif Akerson

·
Banned
553 Posts
Dont overlook the Quantam Kinetic or the Quantam Icon. I 'had' the Kinetic 'til saturday, when it was stolen and my dad has the Icon. Very consistant drag.

KC

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have two Quantum Heat reels.. The HT3 and HT4 I have caught nice springers with both. They run about 30-40 bucks at Bi-mart. I have heard great things about the Okuma spinning reels too.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Mr. A,

In the Buy American pitch, look at Penn reels. Joes and Fishermen's have some models but Cabelas Online and you can order the exact one you want.

I'd get the rods at Joes or Fishermens, lots of good US made rods, Lamiglass, Loomis etc.

I have the 360 with 30lb Spiderwire (equivalent size of 8lb mono) for salmon.

4400SS with a Loomis SJ%768 for bass and walleye.

Brion

·
Registered
143 Posts
All the reels mentioned in this thread have their good and bad points, but I wanted to give a reel repair perspective as well. Spinning reels are almost all imported from the Orient, and many manufacturers make adjustments and updates in parts during a particular model's life span. Unfortunately parts are often not stocked to reflect these changes. The easiest parts (now remember, I'm just referrring to spinning reels, baitcasters are often different) to obtain come generally from Okuma and Penn in my experience. Shimano is great for baitcasters but their lower end spinning reels in particular are hard to find parts for. The Penn Prion and SS series spinning reels are easy to get parts, but the Jarvis Walkers are imported and a bit tougher. Okuma has a pretty big warehouse in California with a good inventory (I just visited there myself a couple of weeks ago) so they are usually pretty good. Quantum and Daiwa make good spinning reels but parts are usually very difficult to come by in a timely manner.
That's my 2 cents.
Al

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Okuma gets my vote too, I'm sold on them. The Epixor, Metaloid, or Inspira, they're really nice reels.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You can't go wrong getting her an OKUMA !!there a very good reel.AND PRICED RIGHT !!
Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts