IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to drift the Rogue around Christmas time. We were thinking between Hell Gate and Grave Creek area. I've been down this water in an Orange Torpedo in the summer flows but never in winter flows. Would this be pretty easy for novice to intermediate rowers? And also, how is the Steelhead fishing durring that time? Thanks for any info. :smile:

CM

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
the water (and fishing) will depend on how much rain we get between now and then. The fishing can be good that time of year if we get some rain. There can be some tricky spots for novices in that stretch. Hellgate to Graves Creek is a pretty ambitious drift for fishing. You might want to consider shortening that up some. There can also be some good steelhead and coho fishing upriver that time of year. If you want some more specific info email me and I will try to help.

RF

·
Registered
512 Posts
You have Dunn Riffle and Galice chute in that section, which will get your attention. I've done Dunn Riffle "on the fly" and think I'll go with someone before I do it again. I've been through Galice chute with a guide once but think I'd rather see it done again before I do it myself. That time of year I'd suggest you consider the upper river between TouVelle and the hatchery. E-mail me when you're ready and I'd be happy to give you the scoop on the float, etc. I fish mostly the upper river and am on the water about 50+ days a year.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's good advice Riveraider. Dunn Riffle is a Class 2+ and deep enough for my wooden drift boat and intermediate oarsman skills when the Rogue is running 3200 cfs. Scout out Dunn (between the outlet of Hells Gate and above the Green Steel Bridge) from Galice Road. I choose to put my wood boat in below Dunn Riffle at Indian Mary Park Ramp and take out at Ennis Riffle Ramp when the river is less than 3000 cfs to avoid shallow rocks on Dunn Riffle. Ennis Riffle Ramp is above Galice Rapid. Both runs are easily scouted from Galice Road. Intermediate skills or better will be used from Ennis Riffle Ramp to Grave Creek Ramp but still easily scouted from Galice Road. You could row upstream a bit from Indian Mary Ramp, and row upstream allot from Grave Creek Ramp for some fishy waters. Allot of very good steelhead water from Gold Hill Sports Park Ramp down to Hog Creek, especially "downtown" Grants Pass. Good Luck, Wish I still had my drift boat. Love that River! :cheers:

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Lots of good advice here.

That is one lllloooonnnnggggg day to fish from Hog Cr. to Grave Cr. and Dunn can be a bugger as can upper Galice and Arago.

I would fish up closer to town if it were me or drift from Ennis or Indian Mary to Rand or Almeda.

There are many options but until you are closer to the date to see where the river level is it is a tough call.

Feel free to email for an update in mid December.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
I agree with everything here. As far as the fishing goes in that section...last year we nailed them in double digits. There's some really good water in the stretch from Galice to Almeda. There is one class 2 at Chair riffle, but everything else is less notable

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was using Hell Gate to Grave creek as a general area. That would be a long float :rolleyes: . I was thinking more like Indian mary to Galice. I now remember those rapids below Hellgate that go under the Steel Bridge. I've seen those durring summer flow, and think I would shy away from them in a drift boat then. What would be the easiest drift between hell gate and Grave Creek? I'm starting to think that we just may bank it, but if I remember right, there seemed to be alot of brush on the side of the river. Thanks for all the info.

Thanks again
CM

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
The stretch between Indian Mary and Ennis is very easy. The stretch between Galice and Almdeda would be next up in difficulty, but has some great water to fish. Every stretch between Ennis and Grave creek has at least one class 2. None...including Dunn, Galice chute, Galice Riffle, Chair Riffle, Island Riffle, Almeda Riffle, Argo, and Woolridge, are particularly difficult...but that is truly DOE. Any and all of them can and have tipped boats and rafts over. I talked to a man who was scuba diving in this area and found an upside down inboard jet boat on the bottom. That was earlier this summer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts