IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm getting lazy...no wait, more efficient:grin: and no longer want to fight the sticks all the time when fishing from my drifter so I'm looking for info on electric motor options.

I'm needing a system that'll have the power to move a 16X54 aluminum DB, in decent fall nook/winter steelie type water. Capable of running full day(s) use without having to fill my boat with batteries.

Most interested in a Minn Kota MAXXUM 80lb model

ANyone out there use this or have anything to say. And, before anyone really tries to convince me... RipTide models are pretty much out until I hit powerball $$$:pray:

Thanks A lot!
Eric

· Banned
8,470 Posts
I've got a 16 x 60 flatty with the 70lb minnkota with the maximizer....at times I wish I would have looked for the 80lb, but the 70 does the job all day long backtrolling and hover fishing(about 6 hrs).

Get the 80 and the biggest freaking batteries you can afford...ZOOMMMMM!

:cheers:

· Registered
461 Posts
I had the 70lb model and found it to be weak. I think that by the time you spend money for the motor, weight for the batts, wire to run it, a charger. A gas motor is the better option. IMHO.

· Registered
2,579 Posts
I run a riptide 74lb thrust on my Willie 16x54 and it does ok. It will run back to the top of most runs for sidedrifting or bobber doggin. Mine has yet to go dead on me but I also pull plugs and still row some as well. I would recomend the 80 or 101 thrust for power and lasting power but the down side is the weight of 3 batteries.

· Registered
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THanks all for the replies so far.

The 80 is a 24V system, so running 6V's in series is probably out.

I also have a 8hp kicker already, just looking for the quiet, non-gas option.

I don't plan to use it for a whole day, just mosly to get back up to re-run some slots here and there, some backbouncing, etc.

· Registered
8 Posts
Ok, so I'm getting lazy...no wait, more efficient:grin: and no longer want to fight the sticks all the time when fishing from my drifter so I'm looking for info on electric motor options.

I'm needing a system that'll have the power to move a 16X54 aluminum DB, in decent fall nook/winter steelie type water. Capable of running full day(s) use without having to fill my boat with batteries.

Most interested in a Minn Kota MAXXUM 80lb model

ANyone out there use this or have anything to say. And, before anyone really tries to convince me... RipTide models are pretty much out until I hit powerball $$$:pray:

Thanks A lot!
Eric
I run a Minn kota 80 lb thrust w/ 3x steering on my 17x54 fishrite drift boat and 2 group 27 Roll deep cycle batterys in series. I love it for side drifting and getting around. The other day I took 2 passengers from Roy cr. to Wheeler and had over half the Battery juice left. When I get home just plug in the onboard charger, it shuts off automatically. The whole set up cost about $ 1150.

· Registered
140 Posts

I don't plan to use it for a whole day, just mosly to get back up to re-run some slots here and there, some backbouncing, etc.

· Registered
2,579 Posts

Id go with the 101 if your serious about backbouncing. I know the 74 wont hold in good current and I would bet the 80 wont either, at least not very long. Ive been told the 101 will hold in place and allow you to bounce.

· Registered
140 Posts
I have fished in drift boats with both the 101# and 80#. Personally, I would not go less than the 80#. As far as batteries go, you should look at the Cenntienial brand. The deep cylces I bought have the exact specifications as the Trojan series for substationally less cost. Also, spend a little extra for the on-board charging system. You will not regret it. Finally, I found a place in Salem, Batteries NW that has most the wiring, connectors and accessories you will need, much cheaper than somewhere like NAPA.

· Registered
140 Posts
I have fished in drift boats with both the 101# and 80#. Personally, I would not go less than the 80#. As far as batteries go, you should look at the Cenntienial brand. The deep cylces I bought have the exact specifications as the Trojan series for substationally less cost. Also, spend a little extra for the on-board charging system. You will not regret it. Finally, I found a place in Salem, Batteries NW that has most the wiring, connectors and accessories you will need, much cheaper than somewhere like NAPA.

· Registered
2,981 Posts
I have tried all the variations of electrics on drifters and would recomend a 101 for your wants. I'm selling mine shortly only because I just bought a sled and will only use the drifter on the lower D. where I carry tons of gear and dogs:). I can easily get 2 days of trolling on the siletz on one charge, and run up anything a 8 horse will go up. I can't speak to the poster that said the saltwater series is overated...it might be:crazy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.