IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried salty dogs first but only one answer. I want to go crabbing on Monday. Should I go to Netarts or Nehalem? Will this rain put too much fresh water in Nehalem Bay? Should I bring any fishing gear with me at either location or just concentrate on the crabbing?

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
SC,

This is the time of year when we have alot of choices. You can crab or crab and fish.

Here are some options.

Columbia River - Full of crabs right now and limits are very common. Downside is the big water and depenping on the size of your boat, beware.

Nehalem Bay - You can throw the pots out and fish. The bay kicked out a mix bag last week of mint brite chinook, dark chinook, and the river and bay are loaded with silvers. Getting them to bite is a challange. I watched a guy in tide water in a kayak throw spinners at the coho and he cleaned up. Throw the pots out and fish from the mouth all the way through tide water.

Tillamook Bay - Crabing has been OK to good in all the usual spots including crab harbor. Fishing is right on schedule with a good chance to land a 25 to 50lb chinook. Make sure your crab pots are set up right. Lots of salad in the bay right now and a bunch of grass on your crab pot rope can pull the rope and bouys under water making the hard to find. Also beware of some low life vermin down that way that like to pull or steal your pots. Don't stray to far away.

Netarts - Crabbing show only. I don't know how it's producing right now but this is the one bay of the above mentioned that is not effected by fresh water since no river is running into it.

Don't over look the options close to home. Chinook still in the Columbia probably close to Bonniville is the best bet and local rivers like the Sandy, Lewis, Cowlitz are full of silvers and limits are the rule.

As for me....I'm going to dig razor clams in the morning and go retrieve my crab pots in the Columbia which were dropped in the river late this afternoon. Looking forward to dinner!

Good luck in what ever you decide to do. Be carefull and wear your PFD.

Pearl

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Pearl, I hope your pots are still there!

Smoker, if you really dead-set on crabs, hit the CR at buoy 20 or 22. I used to crab Nehalem, Netarts, Siletz, T-Bay, and Yaquina but after trying the CR I don't even waste my time anywhere else. Kicks serious butt, and big water is a concern, but my boat isn't any bigger than yours.
If you wanna fish and crab both, then T-Bay or Nehalem like Pearl said. BTW, that's good advice on the weeds in T-Bay. They're a pain.

[ 10-11-2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Smokerchick,

Wanted to give you an up to date report.

My son and I got our razor clams this morning and then went back to the Columbia to get our crab pots around 1PM. We had 3 people, 6 pots and got 33 keeper crabs. Weather was iffy with wind and mini storms blowing through most of the day. The keepers were a mixed bag of really nice crabs from the ocean and some that were 3/4 full. Also some river crabs in the lot.

If you hit one of the bays or rivers tommorrow looks like you will have better weather. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can someone tell me where the best boat ramp is for crabbing around buoy 20 on the CR? Do you mainly crab the slack tide or can you leave the pots out longer? I have the danielson type traps so I'd be kind of leary leaving out their during an outgoing tide.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
grumman- Hammond boat ramp is the ONLY ramp close to the BOuy 20/22 crab area. Next one is Warenton, another 5 miles up the creek, Illwaco several mile across the river and down.

I would not recommend the outgoing unless it's one of those miniscule (2 foot) swings. You can lose your floats or float your traps on a big incoming too though. Even with heavy pots and double floats you can still lose the floats until the current slacks off. Watch the size of the swing , if it's big stick near the slack tides. Remember that the current lags the high and low tide tables by up to an hour so you can fish well past the high befotre the outgoing current becomes a problem.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Never crab the outgoing, you'll waste your time. I get out there about an hour 1/2 before high slack and crab thru the slack tide. As soon as the tide turns out, I'm done. Limits are no problem. The outgoing is a total waste of time and energy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts