IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k., HERE'S THE DEAL... I'M WONTING TO BUY A
"PENN 320 GT2" to put on a 12ft ugly stick for bank fishing for sturgen. The problem is that my father-in-law keeps teling me that it wont last due to the fact of it having a "line guide"...
he keeps teling me that a sturgen will burn out the bearing on it and that it has to be a open face.
What do all of you think? is this something that is true and if soo can i remove the guide on this model of reel?

any help and ideas would be very appr. :shrug:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
IMHO, the limiting factor is not that the "line guide" (level wind) will wear out. It is that the level wind severely restricts the casting distance.

From the bank, you will often be casting 12-16ozs of lead. You want to get it out there. The reel pictured above is the unit for bankee sturgeon fishing. Don't take my word for it. Go where the bank sturgeon guys go and look at the reels.

Buy a Penn 320 (good boat reel) and regret it for bank fishing. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Go with a shimano speedmaster. The penn is way too slow to use from the bank. You will lose a lot of sinkers because you won't be able to reel fast enough to keep the weight above the rocks. I have both reels and the penn sits. The shimano fishes. Got one off ebay a while back for $75.00 in reel good shape.
Good luck

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
STEEL-A-MATIC,
The advice given by *** and Crabbait is correct. If you want distance then the Sealine 50H is the reel of choice. It takes a little practice to cast if your new to this style of reel but the real trick is to master using your thumb as a line guide to reel in the line evenly onto the spool. It seems awkward at first but after a week or 2 of fishing with it you will be a master caster. Another tip is prior to casting is bring along a small bottle of drinking water and pre-wet the spool of line with a little trickle (flush). This will help with friction and you will get even farther :shocked: casts than with a dry line. For the money the GTI series are great but if you want to get out to where the STURGEON feed then the 50 H is the ticket. Most guys I know use 25lb mono for super long cast and skip the power pro etc. I have 2 reels. 1 spooled in mono and 1 in 80lb power pro....The mono casts noticeably greater distance.

[ 06-26-2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank's guys for the help. ii wass hoping ii coould get away with the "320" because the price was more in my range but it doesnt look like i can. :depressed: i called evrybody in town to see if i could find a better price than $134.00 :rolleyes: for the "50 hv" but it doesnt seem like it. maybe sommeone on i-fish has an old reel they would like to sell :grin:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Steel,

Try searching eBay for that reel. You may find a decent used or new reel cheaper than you can buy at the stores?! It's worth a shot!!

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Ebay for less than the 320 is new. I paid 55 for mine including shipping. These things last pretty much forever.

Look for ones that were used in the great lakes. I actually shy away from pacific NW stuff cause it was either used on big fish in the ocean, or oversized sturgies. Both are tough duties.

The great lakes guys use them on lakers and salmon with downriggers. A midwest reel will be in better shape, and last longer IMHO.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
491 Posts
if you are budget minded,you might try finding a regular 50H used.not the sealine.i am sure the sealine is a fantastic reel,but if you can find one,they work for me.i have three of them,used them from boat and bank for many years without failure or trouble.before they introduced the sealine,i think i only paid 40 to 45 dollars apiece for each one.they might be a little dated,but they are still going strong.i wish everything i owned was as trouble free as those things.even OS are no problemo.NS :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts