IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a second (and final) phase of restoration on my boat in January. I thought I would be back on the water in 3-4 weeks, but it took almost four months. Now it sounds like the springer season is winding down. This weekend, I plan on giving it a shot. I've been to a couple of springer clinics and I think I could do a good job at rigging bait wrapped quick fish or plug cut herring. I am not clear on how to rig shrimp with spinner. Also, I've pulled wiggle warts for steelhead, so I know that method. Based on this, what do you guys think would be my best chance for catching a springer this weekend: Bait wrapped quick fish at anchor at Oregon City, trolling herring at Multnohmah Channel, or pulling plugs at Wind River or Drano? And speaking of Wind and Drano, I've heard all the horror stories about the limited parking there. I heard once it is easier to launch somewhere on the Oregon side and motor 4 or 5 miles over to Wind River. Next year, I will be ready at the beginning of the season, but I hope I can get into one this season before it's too late.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Waterfish, last weekend we put two in the boat and lost one while trying to get it into the net trolling up the channel near Browns Landing. We were trolling sardine wrapped k-14 kwikfish.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dipnet, I just assumed people anchor when fishing with bait wrapped Quickfish. When you troll them, how fast do you troll, how much weight, and is it best to troll with or against the current?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Given the time of year and your level of experience, I would use an Alvin, K Lure or a size 3 spinner and anchor in the Oregon City area.

Use a 40 inch lead line and a leader going to your lure of equal length. Use enough lead to hold bottom at 5 bounces behind the boat.

If you do this faithfully I almost guarantee you will catch a Springer.

I have seen too many novices try to make it way too difficult over the years. I suggest you don't even mess with bait.

My wife will use nothing but this rig. She has been out with me three times this year and landed five springers.

Keep it simple !

Good Luck,

Uncle Roy

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We try to keep it between 1.5 and 2 mph, downstream with 5 oz. lead. 3' lead line and
4 1/2-5' leader. It's worked for us. We prefer to stay away from the crowds, so that is why we troll the channel area where there aren't quite as many boats concentrated in any one spot. Except for around Coon Island!! Hope that helps, and good luck!! We should be out in the channel tomorrow in a black and white Smokercraft Osprey with an ifish sticker on the drivers side. If you see us, say hey!!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips Dipnet and Uncle Roy. I came down with some bug and ended up in bed this weekend. However, next weekend (Memorial Day weekend), I plan on being on the water Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, and I will try Oregon City one day and Multnohmah Channel on another day. There's been a lot of controversy on Ifish lately about zipperlip posts and sharing. Your replys to my questions show that it is possible to help a beginner like me with techniques and general areas (that aren't secret anyway), and at the same time not give away someone's secret hole. My boat is a restored 1964 Glasspar Seafair Sedan. It has a cuddy cabin and is red and white (17.5') with Ifish stickers on each side. I will have my VHF on channel 68. Hope to see you on the river next weekend!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts