IFish.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker and I are looking at fishing in the big blue for some coho on saturday. I was wondering if some of you could give me a idea what the conditions are supposed to be and when the rite times for crossing the bar would be in the morning out of hammond. We have a 22' thunderjet with a 115. I havent heard of anything going on in the river so we want to go out to get into all the fun all of you are haveing. He has never taken his boat in the big blue, I have been out a few times and another guy that is going with us has been out a few also. Im confident we will be fine as long as the conditions will co-operate. thanks for any help that you all can give me. Also does any one have a phone # of where I can reserve some herring for that morning also, PM me if you can help with that. Tyson

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Re: Need some helpful info for Saturday from the Salty Masters

Today's outlook for Saturday looks to be 2 & 4 at 7 sec. 12 knots of wind. High tide is around 4:45am at N Jetty. Sunrise at 6:17am. It's an outgoing tide. Timing will be key on Saturday. Just remember an outgoing tide will magnify the swells and you also have the possibility of short wave cycle. (Close together swells = I heck of a ride)

Be careful if your not used to the CR.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
you might try garibaldi instead. fishing has been good and it's a much easier bar and less travel distance to get into fish. Just a thought. PM me if you need an idea of where the fish are.
Be safe and have fun!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well maybe Garibaldi would be a better place to go. Would there be any really experienced captains willing to maybe go with us to show us the ropes? Never fished out there and my buddy with the boat has never been in the big blue, (thats why hes got me) but I am not a expert and never fished out of Garibaldi.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Personally...I might take up GBSs idea on Gari....predicted 2-4 @ 7....with predicted high winds could change that to my personal cut off of 3 ft. wind waves....and the other factor for me would be that high tide is 4:45 turning to low @ 10:18....if the bar gets bad, the next high tide opportunity is 4:45.....if the ocean stayed favorable, then this wouldn't be too bad....but, if the conditions went south....I wouldn't want to be stuck out there waiting for the right bar conditions.....note:: this is just my personal take on how I would read Saturday.

take care and stay safe!!
Paul

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
The forecast has been changing by the hour. First a major blow and big seas then not, then moved out a couple days then moved back, then it looks fishable. Right now we seem to be in a difficult to predict weather cycle. Not the best conditions for a rookie saltwater skipper with a limited experienced crew. Don't let the seduction of all the ifish reports get you into something thats over your head. There will be better days ahead and remember, when you enter the salt you enter the food chain.

·
Registered
22,363 Posts
There have been many posts about crossing the Columbia River BAR. In the archives you will find a host of fantastic information regarding bar crossings and where and when to go. A few years back Keywest put up an excellent tutorial about the CR bar and crossing. Sift through the archives and read this carefully.

Lots of new faces out there and people that have never crossed the bar. Take it easy and slow down a bit to let the rollers go under ya. I personally try to quarter the waves a little to reduce slamming on the backside (no longer do I have this issue in the glacier bay cat.:dance:) in a mono hull. Watch for crab pots after you pass bouy 12. Pots are sanded in along the inside of the south jetty. And for goodness sake stay off the Clatsop spit. Oh, and if you don't have radar and gps don't go in the fog, please! Wednesday we had a huge mess in the Ilwaco channel. Even with experienced captains with the radar and the gps. We had two charter boats run aground which proves it can happen to anyone out there. That fog is disorienting for sure.

All part of learning the CR. And don't let folks fool ya about how easy Garibaldi is. It can be real fun in the fog too.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good call on Bernie's part. Look at KeyWest's post.
If you come to the CR you can always fish the river and listen to the radio about the conditions outside. You can call the CG for a bar report.
Hard to say how the conditions will be outside, but there have been reports of fish being caught in the river.

Good luck and Be safe out there

·
Registered
22,363 Posts
BTW, you cannot always rely on the Coast Guard for "current bar conditions". They do not have a boat out there at all times measuring or watching what is happening. Put YOUR hairy eyeball on it or even contact folks that may be crossing for a first hand bar report. No need for an "e ticket" ride when reports are available.

Be safe out there folks.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I like what Bernie says about 'even experienced skippers using radar and GPS' having difficulty. Fog and sea conditions on the CR require full focus as evidenced by even the most experienced getting into trouble. Use your instruments, but also your eyes, ears and probaby your nose. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I a'int no master but...Garibaldi tomorrow early. If the forecast holds the Garibaldi bar should be passable by sunrise and should be ok to come back before noon. I'm down to my crew of Bosco the wonder lab, we will chase coho north of Twin rocks in 195 -200 depending on the water temp...feel free to call, I'll be on ch 16, probably in the parking lot by 05:30 (I'll wait for the 1st bar report to launch)...anybody know how to teach a lab to write more clealy when he punches his fish:wink:?

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
BRR,

1. Consider Tillamook over The CR

2. How long have you been a skipper

3. Radio, GPS Radar?

4, Back up radio, hand held backup GPS?

Bildge pump, fuses, flares, etc

The Hurricane out east has things stirred up but not as bad as originally predcicted, but still not flat either.

Ne very mindful of the weather. This time of year the fog can creap up/in anytime of the day in a hour or so. Will be cooler in the valley so probably not that big of an issue for PM fog, but still can happen.

Be safe, make good decisions, and for hecks sake, don't take unnecessary chances for a few darn salmon.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Big Red. all the info given on this thread it extremely. valuable. Howrver remember --every one on this board had a first crossing. I'm sure even the most confident captains where a bit puckered.
I know I was.
I had read all the stuff in the archives,talked to lots of people,studied the charts,had gps entered with all of the CR bouys.
Still I was puckered on the first crossing. I feel real good now after 4 years crossing---but still feel a bit of anxiety.
I'm wandering a bit but my point is,Do all the background work you can.Be prepaired with the right equipment(radio-GPS-Depth finder-life jackets---at the minimum}be prepaired for the worst. All this formula needs now is your oun experance and comfort level.
The ocean is a great place to play---but no fish is worth trading caution for.
Terry

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all for the help. We are going to head to Garibaldi tonight and try it in the morning. We wouldnt mind if we could follow someone out if they dont mind. So if you dont mind a tagg along please PM me with some info how to contact you and get things worked out. Again thanks to all for the great advise. Tyson

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
PM sent

1 - 16 of 16 Posts