IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year there was a serious log jam on the river. Has anyone floated this lately and is there any new hazards that we need to be aware of. I always take my bow saw on this one but it's a little whimpy for a big snag. The Nec is one of my favorite rivers to float but it can be challange at times. Rebell and I are planning a float this Saturday and need some info. HELP

3,877 Posts
Don't go there... There is no fish

On a serious note John, Spooner & I went there a few years ago after a high water event and I learned a very valuable lesson on that day...

Never leave home without a chainsaw on that river.

Fortunately there was another boat behind us and we promptly drug our boats up on an island and got down that day.

By the way $987 later my new brakes & manual locking hubs are now in place. Merry Xmas :mad:

Knew it was not going to be cheap...

Good luck this weekend and don't forget you will need a key to Johnsons Gravel Bar's gate if you plan on taking out there... Of course you can drift all the way to the school there in Seaside.

Tight Lines...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
PC: The wife and I where there about 2 weeks ago. I did not float the river, but did check out the take out at the relief pitcher and the put in at the Sitka Tree. At both places there where warning signs that there where trees blocking the river..

Don't know if I helped you or not...

Giz...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Last year was a bad one for trees blocking the river. This year should not be any different! Bring your saws! A helmet wouldn't be a bad idea either.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I was just there checking things out and there are a lot of down trees in the river!! Not to mention a lot of really low lying tree branchs.I did not float it and was on the bank sort of checking it out for next week.

However there are also steelhead. So just like the Navy says stay low and move slow.

Brett Stuart bullet jigs where nails as well as Marries scent on a wrag in orange red and white with a jensen egg inplace of a bead. I fished the upper slots and kind of picked and choosed places to fish all of the fish I caught where right up on the bank within a foot or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts