IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of taking a long day and trying neah bay for bottom fish. I have a 18’ hewescraft open fisherman with a 115/80 jet. Looking at the ocean conditions up there do you think it’s doable in my boat? I have no intentions of running past tatoosh even if the ocean is a lake and would be fine with fishing around waddah island. For anyone that is familiar with the area what should I look for in a ocean report? I know cape flattery gives conditions and forecasts but how does that reflect within the bay? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
185 Posts
You should be fine if you stay around Waddah island or go East to Seal and Sail rocks.

Product Font Material property Screenshot Rectangle

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went up mid April with my 16' open Riverhawk for 2-1/2 days with similar tides and forecast...no problem. On the third day we even went around the corner from Tatoosh and caught some real nice spring lings. Have fun, Good luck!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I was thinking of taking a long day and trying neah bay for bottom fish. I have a 18’ hewescraft open fisherman with a 115/80 jet. Looking at the ocean conditions up there do you think it’s doable in my boat? I have no intentions of running past tatoosh even if the ocean is a lake and would be fine with fishing around waddah island. For anyone that is familiar with the area what should I look for in a ocean report? I know cape flattery gives conditions and forecasts but how does that reflect within the bay? Thanks in advance

Nope. Not advisable. You can poke around the corner and see. The forecast might be off. That boat is way to small to venture off shore in my opinion. It's forecasted to be 3.7' wave height at 7 seconds with a 9 mph wind. If the forecast is wrong and it's 5-6' at that timing, with a bit more wind and you could find your self in big trouble. I have an ocean suitable boat and I like going with swell intervals at 12-15 seconds with a wave height of 1-3' because it makes it way easier to stay and hover over the schools of fish and get real close to structure. Anything less than 10 seconds can be slow going - flat out dangerous for a boat of that size.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
We survived many a day fishing Neah Bay out of one of the small open rental boats. That said, the area around Tatoosh can become dicey especially with wind and currents colliding. Stay inside and you should be fine EXCEPT if it fogs in. Another dynamic!

Fishing bottomfish? Be very sure you know where you are and can identify species and be intimately familiar with the regs pertaining to areas and depth. The Bonilla-Tatoosh line separates MA 4 into 4W and 4E with different regs. Finally, have your descender device on board and ready to use and be safe out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up going. Left the house at 0400 and just walked through the door (2100). Long day but fun. Got everyone’s limit of bass. A couple small lings and 3 keeper silvers. All in all a great day and I would go again with the same forecast but would prefer a little better wave conditions. Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I will be up there Friday through Sunday next week in a 14.5’ boat. This will be my third trip up there this year and I always go around the corner with my boat. Forecast looks great and with a 5 day halibut opener it’s definitely worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts