IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12ft aluminum boat that I would like to take to the mouth of the Lewis for some night time steely fishing. I'm very familiar with the area, as I've taken it out there during the day quite a few times Can anyone help me in finding the info for navigational lights? I know I need something, but what I'm not exactly sure. Do I just need the one round white light on the back? Or do I need both the white light and also the Green/Red light up front?

If we were to anchor just inside the mouth do we need to have the lights still on? Is it ok to have a lantern on as well?

Is this just an overall bad idea? Should I stick to the daylight hours?

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Moley, from my past
experience, you don't want to be on the water at night without the lights. If you're under way, you need both the front and rear lights. If you're on anchor, just the rear light or a lantern that can be seen 360 degrees around your boat from quite a ways away is fine. Safety is the biggest factor here. You don't want a big sled cruising by at mach 5 out to the Columbia and run over you because he couldn't see you. I see a ton of bathtub type boats hauling out to the mouth of the cowlitz every fall that almost get run over because they are going slow and have no lights whatsoever. Night fishing can be great, but not if you find yourself floating towards Astoria. Be safe and enjoy the fishing. :cheers:

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
When running btween sunset and sunrise, you'll need red/green up front and white in the rear. I believe only 360 degree white when anchored outside of a marina or moorage. All of the detailed info is available at the Oregon State Marine Board website.

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
Or the Washington Marine Board site. I don't know what it's called

Steelheadslayer - nice avatar. You bought yours off the rack too.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Yeah, BD. After finding out I've been dealing with sleep apnea for awhile, I know why I'm tired all the time. The avatar seemed to fit. :laugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can get clamp-on type lights (bow and stern) for smaller boats at Wall Mart or the marine supply stores. Out in Puget Sound before daylight I have come close to hitting smaller boats with lights. It's very important to be visible in the dark.

WoodinvilleBill

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys......much appreciated!
Saftey first ALWAYS!

Does anyone know if it's actually worth night fishing at the mouth of the lewis right now? I haven't fished it in a few months now.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Forgot to ask, does anyone know if the pay to launch boat ramp at the mouth of the lewis is open at night?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts