IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
24,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in an area with very low mineral content, this sign has become a mineral source. salt blocks work very well in the area. place a couple blocks (the tan ones) about 500yds from a water source in the spring, build a blind or hang a tree stand and you will see animals.

· Registered
24,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good question. i'm not a plywood glue chemist. maybe someone else can answer the question.

· Registered
7,034 Posts
in an area with very low mineral content, this sign has become a mineral source. salt blocks work very well in the area. place a couple blocks (the tan ones) about 500yds from a water source in the spring, build a blind or hang a tree stand and you will see animals.

Are you saying that the animals licked the sign apart? :confused:

· Registered
24,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a title i thought of: (current state of usfs). or (teddy would not be proud!)

· Registered
3,736 Posts
I'm sure there are chemicals that deer are attracted to that We don't know about.
An example of how strong an attractant can be happened about 15 years ago.
It was in southern oregon cascades and the forest service had just sprayed the gravel roads with a dark colored substance the day before archery season opened.
It was crazy. I came into the area in the afternoon and the deer would move and be back on the road in your rearview mirror. One forest service worker told Me he saw over 70 deer on the road and 20+ were bucks the night before.
It was a bloodbath by the roadhunters. I had spent the morning walking the soles of By boots off.
I asked the name of the stuff they were using and I was told it was lignon or something that sounds like that. I wish I had a few barrels of it.
I though of this because the sign on this thread was wood. I was told the stuff that they were spraying on the road was a wood derivitive and wasn't harmfull. At first I though they were spraying oil and that would be bad.
Has anyone heard of this or experienced something like it? Maybe that's what K-meerdeer is made out of.
We stayed for a week and in a week there were areas where they were digging holes in the road where they were licking it.
This isn't a made up story I was there and saw it.
On a side note I killed a 4 pt blacktail later in the week and no He wasn't in the road but about 1/4 from it.
Mike

· Registered
24,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no horses or cows in the area, it appeared like a combination of critters, deer, elk, smaller critters. no bear sign or bullet holes. i figured they left the outside edge alone due to the attractant leaching out of the perimiter.

· Registered
8,861 Posts
lig·nin
/ˈlɪg
nɪn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lig-nin] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.Botany. an organic substance that, with cellulose, forms the chief part of woody tissue. 2.Papermaking. impure matter found in wood pulp.
[Origin: 1815–25; lign- + -in2
]

I am not sure about this but I believe it is a byproduct or the pulp mills. They use it in a product called CPES. But that product contains a mix of many solvents and would be any good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.