IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! LilSteelie here posting with my brothers name since I'm up here visiting. Here's the reports for the week (last week's creel and trap numbers). Enjoy!

~North Santiam creel had 306 anglers encountered. There were 25 summer steelhead caught and kept, 2 winter steelhead released, and 35 spring chinook caught and kept. In addition, there were 4 rainbow trout mark unknown caught and released, 10 trout species unknown released, and 4 steelhead smolt released. Chinook are being caught in the lower North Santiam up to upper Bennett Dam and in the vicinity of the Mill City Bridge. Steelhead are being caught throughout the entire river. 3 driftboats sank over the weekend at a logjam downstream of Shelburn. The Marine Board is working with the county sheriff's office to address this problem.

~South Santiam River creel encountered 408 anglers. There were 23 summer steelhead caught and kept, 1 winter steelhead released, 37 spring chinook were kept, and 8 chinook were released. There were 16 rainbows with mark unknown, 6 cutthroat, and 5 trout species unknown released. Fishing pressure is mainly at Lebanon Dam, Waterloo, and the Wiley Creek area.

~Foster Lake creel encountered 157 anglers. There was 267 rainbows kept, 34 rainbows released, and 1 smallmouth bass kept. Boats did well on Foster and most bank angling was concentrated near the dam.

~Green Peter-Wed. I talked to an angler who had 8 kokanee. He said they were starting to bite when he left (he fished for 3 hours). On Sat., I talked to 4 anglers who had 1 rainbow and 15 kokanee. Sun. I talked to 3 anglers who had 15 rainbows.

~Adult traps on the North Santiam (Stayton Island) captured 177 marked summer steelhead, 2 unmarked summer steelhead, 23 winter steelhead, 39 marked spring chinook, and 297 unmarked spring chinook also in the traps. On Wed., May 14, 187 chinook were captured in the traps and the following day there were 128 chinook in the traps.

~The Leaburg trap captured 10 marked summer steelhead and 1 unmarked summer. The first 2 chinook arrived at the trap this weekend. There were also 7 rainbows, 1 bull trout, and 17 suckers captured. There were 31 unmarked steelhead smolt captured in the bypass screw trap at Leaburg Dam.

~The Foster Dam trap (South Santiam) captured 28 winter steelhead, 235 summer steelhead, and 126 spring chinook. There were 413 summer steelhead and 116 chinook recycled downstream (either to Waterloo or Pleasant Valley Bridge). To date, there have been 818 winter steelhead, 1445 summer steelhead, and 128 chinook captured in the trap.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, for those who don't live up the canyon, there are NO FIsh in the North Santiam!!!!!!!!

Try the Clack or the Siletz! Thank you!

Thanks Lil Steelie! We appreciate the info. Will be at the river again tonight looking for my chinookie.. :dance:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would like to know how we ended up with this count system on the n&s rivers? is this something new? i relize they count fish in the traps but the creel count! i have never heard of it or seen it in the 25 years of fishing either river. every once in a while a fish counter but very rare. sounds like good advertisement to me, all i know is tons more people this year and slow fishing so far.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
From what I have seen, we have creel counters. A guy named Jason comes around alot up near Gates. His knowledge is very welcomed. Tells us where they are and what people are using to catch them. I have seen him probably 20 times or more in the last 2 months. Told us that they are trapping big chinook in the Stayton trap, and catching them at the bridge and at minto... I hear a 14 pound summer was cought up here in the last few days!!!!!!!! :dance:

I guess they have 2 funded positions that they have filled this year so they can try to get accurate counts.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Lilsteelie

Here is a picture of two of the fish caught on the Santiam on 5-19-03. It was sent to me by a good customer of mine. Thank you for your work on the Santiam

·
Registered
9 Posts
those are abosolute beauties.Im just on the other side and love to hear the tid bits on this area.Never have time to do it though.Any bits would help my virtual fishing psyche.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts