IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only posted on the board a few times, I usually just log and lurk, trying to get up to speed on fishing for springers. Last night however, something happened that I think you'll appreciate.

Over the winter, I built a 16ft dory skiff. If I say so myself, she's a beauty. I built it from marine okume plywood, mahogany gunnels, fir framing, with black walnut and purple heart accents, and finished with 2 coats of epoxy and 5 coats of varnish. I built it for salmon fishing on the Willy, crabbing and fishing in the bays ( thanks again for the tow Pilar!!!) and trolling lakes and reservoirs for trout and Koks. Anyway, to the story.

I live about 7 miles from Silverton, and we like to bank fish for planter trout at the Silverton reservoir. My wife has always outfished me. Well now that we have a boat nothing has changed.

Yesterday afternoon after work we dropped the boat in to troll around for a couple of hours before dinner. Within about 15 minutes, my 16 year old son fumbled and dropped his brand new ultralight trout rod in the water. It sunk like a rock, gone, see ya. Of course, he was pretty upset. Vickie, my wife, being a good Mom, said "Here honey use mine". She went and found some 4lb leader in the tackle box, rigged it with a hook, worm and a splitshot, let out 30 or 40ft of line and drug it behind the boat. My son and I laughed and said she was being silly,
you need tackle to catch fish.... rooster tails, wedding rings, flatfish, power bait, stuff like that AND a real rod and reel. Then jokingly I commented "you watch she'll be the only one to catch anything" No sooner had the words left my mouth, she screams "hey, I got a fish" Well, cut to the chase, in less than an hour, she's got her limit and Andy and I have squat. :bowdown: So, If anybody wants to rent some luck, I'm sure she would love to learn how to catch salmon. Just remember, make sure there's room for two. After all, she is my lucky fisherwoman.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My digital camera is out of town with my youngest son. I will be sure to post some boat pics next week.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
FF,
That's true and I have the marks to prove it. :shocked:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Woody,
good story! So what kind of dory skiff did you build? Who designed it? I ask since i'm building a 16' dory/skiff too. Designed by Tracy o'brien out of chehalis, wa. I also would love to see some pictures of your boat. I look forward to hearing from you again.
chumsalmon

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I built the "Nez Pierce 16", designed by Ken Swan in Hubbard, Oregon. Dang, I wish I had my camera. Oh well, next week I will post some pics and tell the story of my boat building experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts