IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as most all of you know, we have a website for fishing reel repair. it's grown so large that it has started to adversely affect other sites on godaddy's shared server. or at least that is what they claim. i was supposed to have 10 years of unlimited band width and 150 gigs of storage. i am only at 87 gigs now. bottom line, we are shut down and godaddy will not budge. we are going to try to get this fixed. i could take as long as a week. they are forcing me too migrate the website to a business account that will cost 10 times more. i don't care about the cost. i am more disappointed with godaddy. we will be back, but it may take a week.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Screw godaddy, get you a new hosting provider. Good luck Alan... :flag2:

·
Premium Member
17,249 Posts
There's a lot of that shut down business going on lately. It's been over ten years since I was running a site and don't have a clue these days about hosting services. But there are most certainly some less expensive than GoDaddy.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i made a commitment to never have ads, banners or sponsors. not meant as a slight to those that do. i am fortunate in that i do not need to. so, yeah, no ads ever. i traded my 5 remaining years of shared hosting with godaddy for 6 months of business hosting. in that period of time, we will find another server and move the site again. mainly we need to get the site back up as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
17,249 Posts
i made a commitment to never have ads, banners or sponsors. not meant as a slight to those that do. i am fortunate in that i do not need to. so, yeah, no ads ever. i traded my 5 remaining years of shared hosting with godaddy for 6 months of business hosting. in that period of time, we will find another server and move the site again. mainly we need to get the site back up as soon as possible.
I ran one for ten years with the same 'no ad' policy. Good on ya! Six months is plenty of time to find a new host. No need to change registrar unless you want a complete divorce.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Go daddy tried to pull that on me also, even with the small website I have. When I said I will just use someone else then, they said we will hold your domain. I pointed out my domain was with someone else as had been recommended to me, and they couldn't hold it hostage and they changed their tune very quickly.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Thanks Alan. Your website is a valuable resource for many of us fishermen and your generosity in setting it up and maintaining it is much appreciated!
ron m

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Too bad about the bull crap Alan.
I have a nice TLD 5 coming your way soon.

·
Registered
tuners, steeltrouts, anything goes
1,382 Posts
I've had great luck hosting with Nixihost and Bluehost. Worth checking those out. I work in marketing and have built/manage some websites for some very well known brands. If they can handle those sites, I'm sure you can make it work.

·
Premium Member
2,718 Posts
I’d second switching hosting providers to either of those. GD is horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
our in-house legal department wanted to file a law suit. not worth the time. i really do believe that it is best to just pick up our toys, say thank you, and go play somewhere else. they know, we know, they know that we know, and we know that they know that we know!!!!!! that's good enough for me. hell, it's how i've stayed married for 30 years!!!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
our in-house legal department wanted to file a law suit. not worth the time. i really do believe that it is best to just pick up our toys, say thank you, and go play somewhere else. they know, we know, they know that we know, and we know that they know that we know!!!!!! that's good enough for me. hell, it's how i've stayed married for 30 years!!!!!

That and being a good man who can walk away from a fight when he determines it is in his best interest.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good luck Alan, your website has be invaluable to so many of us as we try to maintain and even upgrade our reels! Thanks for all your hard work.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, it's a long story, but the short version is that we have been stripped of all photos and attachments by godaddy. apparently having photos and attachments are a violation of our contract. we should be migrated over from out $5 a month to the $70 a month business server in a few more days. once that is done, we can post photos all you want. just gotta wait for a bit longer. the files that were flagged by godaddy were backed up and will be restored once we migrate to the business server.

i want to give a big shout out to shibly, screen name gobi king. he's put in countless hours to get us back in compliance. oh, and once the smoke clears, we will be looking at a different hosting service and tell godaddy thank you and goodbye. no need to bash godaddy here. they are forcing people off of the old linux hosting and we would not fit on their new shared server. on the upside, we got 12 years of hosting for $5 a month. that's dirt cheap. i enjoyed a few days off!!!! thanks! alan

·
Registered
802 Posts
Alan,

We are all big fans and greatly appreciate your site.
Good luck with the changeover.
Dylan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts