IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading this back, it dawned on me that I owe everyone a story, so here you are.

What a great day it was on the Columbia River yesterday. I invited my brother-in-law for a sun-up to sun-down trip. He was all over it, especially since his boat is in for hull repairs. We began by launching at Vancouver's Marine Park, (a.k.a. Portco), to catch the last of the outgoing tide for Salmon at Government Island. We had a good rip, so let out the Alvin’s. Next thing you know, fish on! My bro says it must be swimming towards the boat. Finally we see color, and you'd never guess, it's a nice walleye.

That was all the action at the Island, so we proceeded downriver to catch the slack at Warrior Rock for sturgeon and get into the outgoing for Salmon/Steelhead in the afternoon outgoing. What a nice trip down the river it was too. The conditions were perfect, so it was full throttle on the screw. Most everyone must have been at Bonneville or T-bay, due to the river being pretty empty.

As we set anchor at warrior rock, we met Coho Ken. By the way Ken, it was nice meeting you. It was great watching the excitement of the young lady reeling in that sturgeon as well. Once the tide began to turn, we ran downstream from the Lewis and practiced for a couple of hours. No salmon/steelhead seen or caught by us there.

It was getting later in the afternoon, and the wind hadn't begun to pick up, so I pulled anchor to rip back up river to one of my old sturgeon holes that I fished years before by the Port of Vancouver. Five minutes after we put the bait in the water, fish on! Then again, and again. I had really tightened up my drag through the process and then it happened. My rod indicated a hard double bump, and as I'm running to pull it out of the rod holder, I notice that I am being spooled. With rod in hands and under my arm, I'm reflecting back to my many tuna trips streaming live anchovies, and how the tuna can spool you two or three times before you can get them into the boat. As I yell to my bro, this fish won't give up and he looks to see that my reel is half empty and still screaming,
SLACK!
Oh no, I say. All I wanted was to see it. So for the remainder of the evening, while catching and releasing shakers, we lamented over the fish that got away.

Once at the Marine Park boat ramp, around 6:30, the sun was down and the sky was deep orange and purple amongst the clouds, just as it was at sun up. What a wonderful day for the both of us and all of the lucky folks who experienced the same.

Respectfully yours,

Yes I Am
(a.k.a. Steve)

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
:smile: Just wanted to share my enjoyment of your story of the the day's outing. I'm a bankie that discovered ifish several weeks ago and its members of the ifish community like you and others that have provided many of us with experiences that we can vicariously enjoy. Thanks for the fun.
Dennis

·
Registered
266 Posts
That sounds like a fun trip.

I was able to make it up to the Kelly Point area
in the afternoon. It was an incredible weather (hard to believe that it was fall time.)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now back to work with fond memories. I wonder how the gang did at Bonneville and T-bay?

Yes I Am

1 - 4 of 4 Posts