IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More about yesterday's fishing trip, Thanksgiving weekend last year my wife and I traveled to Orcas Island where her parents live. I'd been looking for a peice of good wood to make a wading staff for Fly Fishing....I found a good one and spent a ton of time sanding, dremel tooling and then ultimately finishing with min-wax. I put a nice 4-5 foot shoe string on it for a leash to allow it to float next to me in the water. I use it when walking on the muddy paths down to the river as well as to keep me from slipping on my tush with those handy waders on. Back to the story about yesterday...got off track for a second. I had my handy staff with me yesterday and when unloading my stuff from the car this am I noticed that it wasn't in my car...oh my goodness, I left it at the river. :depressed: You'll notice that I live in VANCOUVER!! Not a 5 minute jaunt to find "My Prescious"....So I run in the house, take a shower and tell my wife I'm heading to Gladstone to find it! She thinks I'm nuts because, all in all, it's just a stick!! So I get down there this morning at 7:15 and sure enough, there it was....laying on the rocks. :dance:

The whole time I was driving there, I was thinking, dude what are you doing..it's gone! There was a part of me that said that if I were a fisherman standing there....and saw "My Prescious"...I'd think that someone would be coming back for it..so I'dlook at it...admire it for a few minutes and then put it back. That's exactly what happened...it was there....just shows me that there are some really cool people out there who did not use the old "finders keepers" rule on me. Has this ever happened to you? Thought you lost something but had that "gut feeling" it just might be there??

[ 04-23-2003, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Fisherfield ]

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Glad you found it. I am usually not that lucky. Anything I forget is always gone :shrug:

RF

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picture's??...yeah, good Idea!

[ 04-23-2003, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Fisherfield ]

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what do you think...was it worth driving all the way back to the fishin whole to get it??

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Fisherfield...only one person in the whole dang world can answer that question.... and you already did. :smile:

G

·
Heck yes it was worth it! You put that much time into a wading stick then by all means. I've waded the Deschutes and know the value of a good wading stick.

·
Registered
532 Posts
yea, i'd say it's worth it.. nice craftsmanship

I lost a complete rig about 6 years ago, 2 rods, small tackle box, and minnow bucket-- left it sitting by a tree. Traveled 100 miles, the relized I'd left it there-- didn't go back, as I figured it would be gone...

now for the real story
are you heading out today? Went down there yesterday, didn't see anything caught, traveled up river, drifting mr pinkie and no fish--
drop me an email

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I saw those pictures, and at first I thought I was looking at pictures of Celine Dion. Wew! scary. Nice wading stick. Would have been a real greek tragedy to loose her.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snowball~ Did you go back and try to find your stuff?? Maybe next time you will...that finders keepers rule could become a thing of the past!! :laugh: :laugh:

All in all fisherman, that I've met, are trustworthy, loyal and brave...scout motto!

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
A fine staff it is. Mine is a bamboo X-C ski pole.

[ 04-24-2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: lost_sailor ]

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A friend of mine uses a bamboo shoot for his wading staff also. He's only 5 foot 3 inches and it's a rather small staff. Considering I'm 6 foot 4 inches...285 lbs...I figured I'd better have a small tree to help me keep balance out there in the water...and boy howdy has it come in handy!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Good story,

I would have gone back too, with out a second thought.

My wife would have accused me of leaving it there on purpose, so I could go fishing again the next day. And she would have been right more than 50% of the time. :grin:

Peace, Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts