IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's my story to get me on the inside..It's not my most interesting but that's for another time perhaps...

My buddy Ted and I were trolling near the mouth of the Rogue one October evening with intermittent rain showers. We were soaking wet since of course our rain gear was left in the truck but fish were rolling here and there so we stuck it out. It was just before dark, and Ted hooked a really hot fish. Line was screaming off the reel, and given Ted's reaction time it was amazing that he didn't get spooled before grabbing the rod from the rod holder.
The fish was heading straight out to sea and the bar was rough as a cob. We headed as close as we dared toward the sand spit and the fish decided to circle around the outside of the spit. I dropped Ted off on the spit and let him duke it out in the surf with the salmon. I figured I would just troll and watch the show from afar.
As I resumed trolling I noticed Ted was up to some crazy antics on the beach. He was running up and down toward the waves as they receded and back up again as the came in. He seemed to be shouting, but I couldn't hear anything over the pounding surf. By this time it was pretty dark, but it looked like Ted was throwing something at the waves on his trips downward. This piqued my curiousity so I pulled in my gear and headed closer. I reached the bank of the spit and hear Ted's curses. A sea lion had his fish. He was heading up hill to grab rocks, wood or whatever he could find, then following the waves down to get close enough to try and peg the beast.
Now this was entertaining as darkness fell.
About ten minutes after being on the sand spit, Ted beached his fish. It was a 22 pound chinook, dead as a doornail, with four puncture marks in its head. For once, in the human vs marine mammal standoffs we have all encountered, chalk one up for us.
That's it, thanks for reading.

Al

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Good story and welcome to Ifish. :cheers: We won a similar battle yesterday on my boat :grin:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Great story. Welcome aboard!! :cheers:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good story!! Welcome to Ifish!! :cheers:

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Great story! Had me rolling :laugh: Welcome aboard!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts