IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concerning the sharing of embarrassing fishing moments, I have given this a great deal of thought. My first inclination was to follow that sage advice, "It's better to let them think you a fool then to open your mouth and erase all doubt", or something like that. My second thought, after thinking through my 40+ years of fishing addiction was, "boy I'm lucky, I've never had an embarrassing moment while fishing". Yeah right. I've narrowed down the dozen or so candidates to one, so here it is. Trusting that this story will qualify me for full fledged posting and asking rights.

Love to steelhead fish. Love to fish from the jetties, as my name "Jetty Nut" would imply. Love to fish for smallmouth bass in the Columbia River gorge on light tackle. Ok, love to fish, period. Several years ago I, along with my young brother in law, were fishing for summer steelhead on the Washougal river. Being a young man, there was something sweet in the experience of standing in the cool water, feeling it swirl around my legs. Loved the squishy feeling of wet tennis shoes on a river bank. There I stood, knee deep, casting Bud's spinners across river and letting it flutter and spin it's way through the slot. I knew that at any moment a steelie would grab that shiny metal enticement and I would be in for one of life's greatest thrills. My brother in law worked his way upstream and was casting something, saying something, but I was lost in paradise. Then it happened. As my spinner spun it's way down river I felt it stop. I have a hair trigger. My friends tell me that one should not stand close to me when I set the hook (ever heard a sonic boom caused by rod acceleration?). My trigger was set well that day and I came back with the rod. My rod doubled over and I felt the tell tale throb of a hooked fish on the other end of my line. I yelled, "fish on" and began to work my way downstream and towards the bank. The fish didn't immediately take off, but dogged it back and forth in the current. I could feel the fish throb and pulse at the end of my line while it moved around the slot. A few seconds later a could see the line coming up signalling that the fish was going to jump. I called out to my brother in law, who is now stumbling down the river on a half run in an effort to come to my aid, "it's coming up, it's going to jump!" Sure enough, it came straight up out of the water, my heart pounding, as it went a good 3 feet into the air. The "fish" settled on the surface of the water, fight over, and surrended as I reeled it in. It seems that I hooked a 3 foot long tree limb that was floating by. One end of the limb was flattened, much like a flatfish, which caused it to wobble, throb, and move in the water. I figured I pulled hard enough that I was able to get the "fish" to turn over and the flattened surface caused the limb to shoot out of the river because of the water pressure. Fight over, brother in law laughing, I was shaking from the adrenaline, and the limb went sailing across the river. Why me? Why witnessed? Why family witnesses? But alas, as long as I keep my eyes peeled, I know that I can witness enough moments to keep some of my more embarrassing momments secret.

Trusting that all is well with all who may read this. I please, don't make me tell you about my other stories. Like, "do red blackberries work as a substiture for eggs when drifing for steelhead?"

Good fishing to all.

Mike "Jetty Nut"
(I did catch fish at Barview this Saturday--anther small ling in the batch, what's with the undersize ones this year?)

·
Registered
733 Posts
theres nothing like the taste of smoked tree limb on a cool october night with a glass of beer.. welcome Jetty Nut. i liked the story,it seemed all too familar to me, i think people underestimate the thrill of doing battle with a spawning limb.. fishermen are sooo closed minded, fishing only for fish.... i am good at catching myself, my brother, my wife, that tree on the opposite bank, all the nice rocks on the bottom of this damned river and even a limb or two... welcome to ifish.. :cheers: jocose

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Originally posted by Jetty Nut:
"do red blackberries work as a substiture for eggs when drifing for steelhead?"
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Do they? :shrug: :wink: :grin:

Funny story.... :laugh: Makes me feel better for some of the leaves I have set the hook on.... :hoboy: :blush:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Have you ever hooked mother earth? Wow, hooking a planet is a real thrill! Sometimes, the unexpected release happens, sometimes the hook straightens out, sometimes, earth breaks your line on a dead run.

The problem, is finding out if it's fin clipped, but at least you hooked a hen!!! :grin:

SKP

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your responses. We've all been there when it comes getting snagged on limbs, rocks, mother earth. The thing that really bothers me is I fought the dang thing like it was a fish.

Steelie Steve--not going there on the blackberry thing. I figure that from now on all embarrassing moments must be witnessed by an Ifisher. Otherwise, in the great words of Sergeant Schulz, "I know nothiinngg".

For all of you who frequent the Old Mill boat ramp, I have a house right across the street (the brown house) honk when you drive by (not at O dark thirty please).

Jetty Nut

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Welcome , good story. If you love to fish for steelhead, you can relate , we have been there and done that with a roch or a sucker or someones line ,,,,,,something. id. painter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts