IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months back, I bought my first driftboat. It needed a small amount of TLC to get it to where I wanted it. A bit of elbow grease and months later, it's now ready to show!

It's a 98 Alumaweld 16' Pro Guide model. Probably one of the nicer drifters they built, they don't make this model anymore. One of the things I really like about it is that the side trays run the full length of the boat and it's really wide.

It made it's first drift trip back in June, Otilith and I ran the lower Sandy River. I rowed for over 4 straight hours and never got tired, it handles pretty nice. The Sawyer composite counter balanced oars are great. The guy I bought it from wouldn't seperate it from the 2003 Merc 8HP kicker, which wasn't a problem. So it's ready for tidewater!

A few of you saw it before I got it all polished up. I've spent a number of hours this last month putting a new coat of coat-it on the bottom and polishing up the hull. After 5 years of fishing hard by the previous owner, it needed it! Since it's going to see quite a bit of tidewater nook fishing, and I don't want to go through the pain of polishing it again any time soon, I'm going to put a coat of sharks-hide on it. Then its DONE! (yeah, right!)

Next time I post pics, it'll have egg juice and blood on it, big smiles, and bright chrome tidewater nooks! Then, I can't wait for WINTER!

[ 08-23-2003, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: skrimmy ]

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Your boat is sweet but it's too clean and undented.
You need to run the minefield on the Clack a few times in low water and whack a few rocks to make it look like a fishing boat.
It also need tobacco stains, fish blood left for years and an assortment of beverage containers littering it.......... :grin:

·
Administrator
119,702 Posts
Oh, Skrimmy! That is GORGEOUS!

We have the 16 Guide Model, too, but an older one.

I'd feel right at home egging it up for you! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have to agree with Mikey.... much to pretty of a boat. Needs roe and blood stains badly :grin: Nice job Bob, she looks like a fish gitter for sure.

gb

·
Premium Member
14,498 Posts
i dunno, that boat may be too shiny. the fish will be able to spot that thing from miles away. looks great though. good job.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Uh dude? Thats not polished, its chromed.
Good Grief!

Looks gorgeous though.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, for starters it's not going to see the minefield anytime soon! I'll have to get a lot better on the sticks first.

It's had more than it's share of fish blood though, it used to belong to Grant McOmie, the KATU outdoor writer. He stepped up to a sled as the DB was too small now since his boys aren't so little anymore.

I figure once I get a coat of shark hide on it, it won't be so shiny, but even better, I won't have to buff it out again anytime soon. That was work.

It'll surely get its share of "new" fresh fishblood and egg juice in it though....soon. As far as any new dents, hopefully not soon!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Skrimmy,

I think you need to put some SHRIMP SCENT *All

Over It* to give it the right color and smell!

he he he :cheers: NICE BOAT!

your friend,
Marie

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
I think that sucker needs some serious breaking in!

Wow! skrimmy that looks like one heck of a lot of elbow grease.

I only saw one thing wrong with your vision of the future...
Next time I post pics, it'll have egg juice and blood on it, big smiles, and bright chrome tidewater nooks!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">You left out the part that I am holding up the fish! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Nice job!

:cheers:

[ 08-23-2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Gosh I thought I was looking at my White Water but there is no windshied. You did a very nice job on it. I can't wait till we are slaying them at tide water. I get to put the blood in YOUR boat instead of you doing it to mine. :grin:
st

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marie, shrimp scent in the boat? I thought that was a given! :grin: Of course it's gonna smell like Tillamook Bait Shrimp Scent, is there any other kind?

ST, you and HM will have to duel it out over the first blood in the boat! We'll see which one of ya can draw first blood. Hopefully you both do it the same day.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chuck, my wife usually can't get me to do OUR windows! Thank goodness for Magic Maid!

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
skrimmy,,yep that is beautiful...oh, I am seeing myself in the reflection, that's why. :wink:

can I borrow a cup of elbow grease?

what polish did you use, and what did you use to polish it like that?

inquiring minds, gus

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Nice looking boat Skrimmy...however it's too intimidating for the rest of us. Come down to the Rogue and I can show you how just a couple of trips through the fish ladder at Rainie Falls can make the shine and pristine finish go away.

Seriously...you did a great job!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts