IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went fishing yesterday at the mouth of the Cowlitz with a couple of friends. I was hoping they could teach me something as they catch a lot of fish and this was my first time fishin for summer salmon.

I was not really expecting to catch anything as the posts here have said it has been slow.

We were all trying something different. We tried different quickfish, hotshot, alvins but nothing. We had seen a couple of steehead cought but no one else was doing much good either. There were about 30 boats out there.

Since I have read that some of you have been catching fish on spinners and I had a couple I've had for 20 years but never used, I thought I'd try them. I bought them back when I didn't know anything about salmon and never used them. One was still in the box.

Anyway. I tried one spinner and nothing for a couple hours. So I opened the package of one that has a kind of rainbow colored blade with red beads. I put it on knowing I wasn't going to catch anything.

It was in the water about 45 mins and BANG. I had my back towards my pole at the time. My friends said you got a fish on. I turned around and my pole was buried. I grabbed it and set the hook and fish on. It took about 5 mins to get it in. We got it in the boat and my friends said it was about 22 to 25 lbs. Sorry no scales to weight with. Sorry for the long post but I am a little excited.

I want to thank all of you for posting tips and tricks. If I hadn't read that some of you are catching them on spinners I never would have tried that one.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Congrats! Nice Fish!

I'm still looking for my first Summer Chinook.... :hoboy: I am enjoying the trying though.. :wink:

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
Congrats and thanks for sharing the good news as well as the nice pic :cheers:

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
CONGRATS!!!! :cheers:

This is especially hard to read as the skunk smell down that way was ME :mad: on Saturday!!

Great fish!!

How deep were ya fishin'?

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Congratulations on your first summer fish

Hopefully one of many :grin:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wreckless, My anchor was in about 8 ft and I dropped back over a shelf of about 20 ft.

A word of warning - don't forget to rotate your position as I now have a nice sunburn on one side of my face. I thought I was safe under the bimini top.

·
Registered
10,875 Posts
Nice Fish!! Congrats on the chrome! :cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
******, Thanks for the reply to someone elses thread a few days ago about spinners. I contacted Get Bent and will be purchasing some from him in the future.

You were one of the reasons I tried the spinners. :cheers: :bowdown:
:dance:

G

·
Oh cool. Makes me feel good. :wink:

Scott is a good guy. He can help you with anything spinner. (I had to "lie" for you here Get Bent
:grin: )

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts