IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very soon now I will be buying my first new boat. I'm seriously considering Smokercraft 15' Alaskan SS with side console. Any thoughts on how these boats hold up. The package comes with a Mercury 15EL 4-Stroke. Would that be enough motor for primarily lakes and perhaps the bay from time to time.

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a lot of money to spend but do want to get the best value I can.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have a 14 foot smoker with steering console and 9.9 Merc 4stroke, the hull is a 94 and the motor is 2000. Are you looking for new or used? Im thinking of selling mine!

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Take the boat you think you want now.. and add ar ound 8 ft to it.. That will keep you covered on the 2 footitis for a few years..

so if you want the 15ft.. just jump up to a 22 or 24 fter...

d

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
When I was looking at small boats I looked at them. Depending on the model there nice boats. :smile:

If you really want a real boat for just a little more you could get my 21 White Water. I have taken it to Cultus, Wickiup, Crane etc.. Just a thought.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have the 14ft Alaskan with a 15hp Yamaha 2-stroke. Wish I had more. It does OK with 2 people at sea level, but at high lakes it leaves a lot to be desired.

Lepper has the right idea, you always want more. If you can't afford a bigger boat right now, do it in stages. Get the 15ft Alaskan but put a 150 or a 175 motor on it. Then, when you can afford it, buy a bigger boat. :hoboy:

Steve

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
ClippedFin, For 14,995 you can get this with a 50hp 4stroke Honda, Basic top...two seats..and a trailer. I'm gonna get this boat but with the upgraded package...soon...counting the days... :dance:

THIS IS NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR HEWESCRAFT. :tongue:
MrDorkfish

Louis

·
Registered
803 Posts
ClippedFin, I think you will be very happy with your choice, MOST of the time. I've got a 13 foot Gregor but would like something a little bigger. I also have a 22footer but most of the time it is too big. Your choice would seem to be "jus' rite". I've seen them in the paper from time to time, used. Might be a way to save some nickels to use elsewhere. Good Luck...sal

·
Registered
13,642 Posts
Nothing wrong with the boat choice, thats a good one, but, if you ever decide to do anything besides lake fishing for kokanee, etc., you'll wish you went with a larger main motor.

My .02

TR

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
I agree that you should concider a 25hp. As far as the boat goes I think it's a good start. Yes, you will soon want a bigger boat but you could keep it even if later you buy a bigger (18+ft)boat. I have a 13ft alaskan that I use for tidewater and lakes. Great little boat and the 15' would be even better.

Remember, You can never have too many boats and no one boat does it all. :grin:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I started out with a 16 foot starcraft, it was great for just one guy. You could get by ok fishing two people, but forget about any more then that there just wasn't enough room. For me, my 19 foot is just right not to big to take out myself, fishes four comfortable, and has lots of room. Room is the one thing you will find out is very important, especially when fighting a salmon or sturgeon. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I had the boat you're looking at since 1997,and I just sold it to my brother. I fish Puget sound,and the Straits of Jaun De Fuca in it,as well as some lake fishing. It's been a great boat,and has held up very well. I really liked it because it's not too big for one person to handle by themselves. If you have the extra $$$ by all means get the 25HP. With two guys and gear the 25 is PERFECT,the 15 would be marginal. I'd still have it if I didn't get the 2' disease. :grin: I just bought a 17' Alumaweld sled.

On edit....I'd skip the side console,it takes up to much room in a 15' boat.

[ 08-03-2003, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: ICHTHYDEMON ]

·
Premium Member
14,483 Posts
two-foot-itis will set in fast. the alaskan 15' side console is a great starter but the 16'
lodge side console will only put another couple hundred on the price and offers more room. the 15hp is okay for a starter but if you've got the wallet, go for as much HP as the boat will take. 20hp-more-itis sets in fast too.

you should be able to find split seat alaskans on the used market for great prices and i believe you can get the side console kit installed later.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I have a 25 on a 15' and it is not enough power with more than 2 people. If you are going to fish lakes in the mountains you will really be lacking with a 15hp. 25hp is the min I would put on anything longer than 10'.

·
Registered
182 Posts
side console means less room for tackle boxes, cooler...rain gear...net, rods, lunches...more room with a tiller. have fun!!!
Russ

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
I second that, if you can, GO WITH THE TILLER, much more room and if your fighting a fish by yourself it will be oh so much easyer

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Windsheild means less BBrrr on those cold springer days you need a wind break and a top that you can tow with. I have plenty of room and getting rid of the console would not help any.

·
Premium Member
14,483 Posts
i'll second fish_on's post: windshield area with top to get out of the elements will make fishing much more comfortable during springer season. i was out with a buddy for springers on the willamette this year and we looked longingly at those with tops who looked a lot warmer than we felt.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
I have a 16' smokercraft Stilleto with windshield and a 50 hp. I would not trade the windshield and top for anything. As for the motor, the 15 will be under powered. At times I wish I had more ponies that 50. By myself it is fine, but if I take out two others with all our gear and a full take of gas, it is hard to get it out of the water in the high lakes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We use a 15' Smoker craft on netarts and tillamook bays. It runs the water just fine. We originally had a merc 4-stroke 15 on it that pushed it OK with a few people, crab pots etc... That motor grew legs and walked off. So we replaced it with a new '03 Honda 20 horse. Fabulous motor a bit cold-blooded. That is a dream for crabbing and fishing in these bays. If I am going out to fish and want more comfort we switch to the 19' Alumaweld with the nice top and bigger motor. I guess I am kind of spoiled but I like it!!!!

FOD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts