IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What terific weather I had. Fished Cultus for 3 hours on Friday. Didn't start until 1pm and caught 8 Macks--the largest was 28". Went back Saturday with a friend and fished from 9 to 2 and caught 20 more but no big ones. Sunday we went to Paulina and went after Kokanee. We didn't get there untill 10am. We started jigging Nordicks and caught several immediatly. After about an hour and a half the bite just stopped so we started to troll flashers and kokanee killers and caught the rest. We missed 9 fish in an hour, never figured out why. I was using a snubber too.
All in all we caught a lot of fish and had a heck of a good time.
st

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I see the new boat is getting a work out.So how do you like it??And by the way you have my dream boat :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Justcastn I love the new boat. If it's your dream boat why don't you just come fishing with me sometime and you can have some fun in it too. We can do a sturgeon trip or salmon trip.
st

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm up for the sturgeon,maybe a little oversize :grin: I show you my hole you show me yours :wink: :grin: Unless you think you can get me a salmon,but sometimes I don't think the best guide in Oregon can do that :hoboy:

[ 06-11-2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: justcastn ]

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
ST, on the lost fish, what kind of hooks did you use? I've experimented on hooks and found much better landing ratios. Great job on the macks, sounds like a great trip.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Would it be rude to ask what you were using for the macks? Isn't Cultus a great lake? About a generation ago I watched a velvet 3-point swim entirely across the lake; same day a mack hit the red prop on my Evinrude 10 and broke a blade off. Nobody believes that story, but the bleeding fish thrashed next to the boat, so we saw it!

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Glad you had a good trip. :cheers:

If you don't mind sharing I'll second the request for mac attach info.

Can't leave us hanging like that GBS. :wink:

In another few weeks the mouths of the kokanee will start to harden and landing ratios should increase. Sometimes I think that they are not hitting very agressively and that causes lost fish. For example, last Saturday at Paulina, we lost about 50% of fish hooked. However, The last 5 or 6 bites all the fish were landed and hooks were difficult to remove after the fish were landed. Just my $.02.

[ 06-11-2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: FallRiverGuy ]

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I've found there are a few reasons about lost fish. Using a too stiff rod, horsing them, (it's such a finesse thing with them sometimes).Not using a snubber, or using small hooks. The standard hooks off, say the wedding ring rigs bite. I change them out to the red gami hooks, like you'd use on a corkie/spin-n-glo steelie drift rig, but a little smaller. I think they are about #6,. I also did really well with the mustad double hooks last time at crescent, lost very few fish that way, and will likely add more to my kokanee arsenal. Check out my post from memorial day weekend on the other lures I did well on. I'm sold on hot pink spin-n-glo's. chrome silver blades. At least they worked great that day.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Fine wire Gamas in size 6 or 8, red or green give a much better catch ratio for kok's than the junk hooks that come on wedding rings. The other thing to increase your catch is to keep trolling when you are playing and landing the fish. The constant pressure keeps them quieter at the net. Just put the net in the water behind the fish and let him fall back into it.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
Pitch ,
you are right about that. Kokes fight less with a steady but gentle retrieve. A long handled net helps too. Plus if you keep trolling, it often leads to double hook ups, always a kick!

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Originally posted by greenbuttskunk:
it's such a finesse thing with them sometimes
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:cheers:

One trick that I have learned that helps is to free spool the fish at times. When the fish starts to do its twisty thing on the surface, I like to free spool the fish with slight thumb pressure. The lack of tension causes the fish to quit twisting. I loose more fish if I can't get them to quit twisting. One caveat is that this method might not work with flashers. I only use it with dodgers.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Tom, glad to see you had a blast. Nice change from the salmon grind. Looking forward to chasing some walleyes and summers chinook/steelies with you. Sounds like a nice combo trip. :cheers:

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
FRG,
That works good, or just even give the rod tip to them when they reach the boat and do the wiggle shake splash thing. :dance: If you can keep them in the water, they usually calm down a bit. too bad you can't just shoot them as they get near the boat, the little buggers. Can be frustrating to loose so many.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts