IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 15ft Sea Hunter Arima, and need a kicker. Main motor is a Mercury, and am looking for a kicker the same. I just need a little input on size. Any Ideas? Fishing the Columbia and bay's will be the norm.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Does your big motor need pre mix gas, or straight unleaded?

No oil in the big tank= 4 cycle kicker.

Merc, Honda, and Yamaha all make fine engines.

I do not know what size motor is proper. An 8-10hp sounds about correct for a 15' hull. But I am not real familiar with the Arima.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
My buddy had a 19' Arima Ranger (hard top) w/ a 15 that is plenty. I would think 8 would be perfect. He has a longshaft on an OMC raise/lower bracket w/ an EZ steer. Works perfect.

Biederboat

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I drove a 15' Arima for about 12 years and I used a 5 1/2 that worked perfectly. I finally replaced it with a 9.9 because the old kicker just wore out and was becoming undependable. The 9.9 was great but not absolutely necessary.

Say 5 1/2 for a minimum, all the way up through 9.9. Weight is a factor, so go with a 2-stroke unless you just have to have a 4-stroke.

That's a great little boat, Tyee, and you'll have a lot of fun with it. It's a huge boat for its size. Congratulations. :cheers:

Skein

·
Registered
369 Posts
Tyee, a 9.9 will work just fine on that size boat, ran a 9.9 four stroke mercury on my 16 ft campion and was perfect, If interested the 9.9 mercury four stroke is fore sale, 2001 with 16 hrs on it lost my job and will let it go at my loss, still under factory warranty, if interested give me a shout, Thanks Doug

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have a 17 foot Arima with a 15 hp Evinrude kicker. I like the little extra hp in case I need to use it as a substitute for the big motor and it trolls down really well. I do believe that a 9.9 would be more than sufficient though.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have a 6hp on my 15' Arima. Works fine(Will push boat 5mph) and I will probably stick to 6 or 8 when I get a new one. Weight is the issue with this boat and every pound hanging off the back makes a difference in hole-shot. Yamaha makes the lightest 6/8hp four stroke.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wow, how many Arima's are out there?

I just recently bought Skein's Sea Hunter. A combination of family vacation and a few business trips have made it hard to get on the water, but I managed to get a lot of cruising in this last weekend. Unfortunately the fishing poles never got used, but it was a blast exploring all around Sauvie Island and cruising down to the water front area of downtown Portland.

I still need to get my process down for anchoring in the Columbia. I have a good anchor setup, and I mounted a Motion Marine anchor mount, but have a hard time keeping the 300ft of rope from becoming a rat nest. Until I get my uncoordinated act together, I’ll only be anchoring in places that are more forgiving (and doing a lot of trolling).

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
We use a 2 stroke 8HP Johnson on our 17' Sea Ranger. We have the EZ steer set up but find we tiller steer frequently as well.

OLC:

Where you been? You've been pretty quiet the last few months. We'll see you soon. Slowpie and I went the Armia route too.
Hope you havent been zipperlipped and catching every fish that crosses the bar. :cheers:

Bill and Barb

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've fished all arima's boats with a variety of kickers, 4stroke, 2stroke, every size and make. The best set up for that boat is a tohatsu/nissan 8horse 2stroke. Weight is a big issue, especially if your main engine is only 50 or less. The tohatsu is the easiest starting and smoothest trolling engine in that size. Most 9.9 fours weigh close to or just over 100lbs.
Way too much on the back of that boat (in my opinion). Definately want to get a long shaft too, so in calm water you don't even have to drop the bracket down, makes it much easier to run too. Hope this helps, good luck! :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts