IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how people did in Murderers Creek this season. My Brother and I plan on applying for this hunt next year. We should draw. We have not hunted this unit before and need input if anyone is willing to share. We will probably make several scouting trips and probably a family camping trip before next season.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,668 Posts
Last year I heard via the district bio that the east end of the unit was the buck producer, new burns.

·
Registered
376 Posts
There is a few old roads that lead up to Aldrich MT. Much of the burn was up in the area years ago.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Cool country out there! Have fun and enjoy it. Start by narrowing down if you are going to hunt east or west...Wilderness or national forest. A lot of white tail around these days...same with cougars and wolves lol. A little bit of every animal in that unit, really. Haven't seen a moose yet, though.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool country out there! Have fun and enjoy it. Start by narrowing down if you are going to hunt east or west...Wilderness or national forest. A lot of white tail around these days...same with cougars and wolves lol. A little bit of every animal in that unit, really. Haven't seen a moose yet, though.
What are the pro's and cons of east vs west? I assume the wilderness is rougher terrain? Access more limited and to utilizeIt properly may require packing in and camping?
I've seen in old threads that mention the winter kill and then fires. But statistics suggest success is good the last couple years. Am I in the right mindset that some areas are still in recovery? Not much info after 2019 in forums about this hunt.

·
Registered
16,668 Posts
I hunted it last year on the west end and it sucked, buddy and I couldn't find a buck to shoot to save our behinds, passed on a milk sucking spike. My Dad got lucky and road killed a nice buck. I would talk to the district bio, but like I said, they were seeing nicer bucks coming out of the newer burns on the east end.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
What are the pro's and cons of east vs west? I assume the wilderness is rougher terrain? Access more limited and to utilizeIt properly may require packing in and camping?
I've seen in old threads that mention the winter kill and then fires. But statistics suggest success is good the last couple years. Am I in the right mindset that some areas are still in recovery? Not much info after 2019 in forums about this hunt.
Burns are a good place to start...Just gotta get out and see. Don't go harassing my mountain goats up there! ;)

Success is where you find it...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I archery hunted the unit this year and was really unimpressed by the lack of game for such beautiful habitat.
Wild horses seem to be doing good and they would make a platter size stake if they were fair game. Lots of cattle in the low lying areas and any place there is water or a spring.
I remember the good old days there and it surely isn't now from the limited time I hunted there this fall. Never seen one elk and only 3 or 4 bucks and some does in 5 days.
There are some animals there just not good huntable numbers in my opinion. Maybe the dry year had them pushed on private ? I really don't know the answer. Good luck in your queast

·
Registered
671 Posts
I archery hunted the unit this year and was really unimpressed by the lack of game for such beautiful habitat.
Wild horses seem to be doing good and they would make a platter size stake if they were fair game. Lots of cattle in the low lying areas and any place there is water or a spring.
I remember the good old days there and it surely isn't now from the limited time I hunted there this fall. Never seen one elk and only 3 or 4 bucks and some does in 5 days.
There are some animals there just not good huntable numbers in my opinion. Maybe the dry year had them pushed on private ? I really don't know the answer. Good luck in your queast
Grew up deer hunting Murderers creek, we would see 200+ deer a day, I archery hunted there for a number of years for elk never very many, never drew on one, it is great country just not many animals..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Grew up deer hunting Murderers creek, we would see 200+ deer a day, I archery hunted there for a number of years for elk never very many, never drew on one, it is great country just not many animals..
Yes I remember the good old days well. I keep thinking the page will turn and the animals will be there but they sure haven't for me in my last few trips over there. Not completely sure whats caused the animals to diminish. Like you mentioned deer were abundant.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I remember the bad old days….cuz I’m living them, in more facets than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
On a side note see many turkey's this year up there? May chase them in the spring

1 - 14 of 14 Posts