IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Oregon City on Monday and had one take down on diver/shrimp/eggs combo. Fishing was pretty slow. My one take down was better than most. Approximately 20,000 fish have gone over the falls. Somewhere there are another 50,000 fish on the way. Nobody seems to know where they are. Any thoughts on this? The Oregonian this morning says that the fishing in the channel has been excellant. Is this true?

I am committed to taking two guys fishing tomorrow. Any advice on which place to go would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Randy

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't understand why there have been no responses to this question. Could some kind soul please give me some insight as to why this is.

Thanks

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've heard the bite has been spotty in both places of late. I would fish OC with shrimp/eggs or prawn spinners. Only my opinion.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Nail knot,
I fished the head of the channel on Tuesday. Landed one keeper and no other fish or takes. I saw only about 5 fish caught for 40-50 boats. Most are trolling herring with a dodger or fish flash but the temps are getting up there so several were running prawn spinners. We had two rods out, one with plugged herring behind a fish flash and on the other I kept switching it up. Used a herring spinner with whole red behind, straight plug cut (blue label), wobbler, prawn spinner, k12 and then finally went to straight spinners (little smaller than t-bay size). Hooked the nook on a smaller chart with green spot spinner at about 8 pulls with 4 oz of lead. Marked fish deep but I still think they are running shallower. At 8 pulls I was no more than 15 feet deep. I would say it is slow but then again I can only see what is in the area I am fishing...Hope that helps.
Bill

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just talked via cell phone with a buddy who is fishing the top of the channel right now. It's slow and he hasn't had a bump. Saw one fish caught so far but that's it. Maybe an afternoon bite.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'd consider fishing the head of he channel to St. Johns bridge. Cut the bait out completely and troll two rainbow spinners on each line, 4 ft. apart.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
NailKnot,

Fished just below Meldrums on Tuesday the 13th, a bit up from West Linn launch ramp. We were anchored up using prawn spinners.

Of the 30 boats around us we saw 8 fish caught alllll day long. We were one of them. A couple hot spots, three other boats accounted for all the other fish.

I'd call it slow in that area.

That was then, who knows about now.

Going to fish Thursday and Friday in the PM and all day Saturday so looking for tips and I'll let you know how/where we do.

Brion

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I would reccommend the channel. I have been having and witnessing multi fish days. Yesterday we had 2 for 7 and today we landed 7 for 7 with 5 keepers. There is alot of small fish right now and that usually indicated the peak of the run.

The bite has been early and trolling on the bottom from Sauvies Island bridge to the Mouth of the Channel.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Talons, thanks for the informative and honest report. That is pretty generous of you with being a guide and all. Even though i wont be hitting that area that kind of info is pretty sweet. Glad to see the peak moving through and up to us.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everybody for the very fine information. I will fish Oregon City tomorrow. I will let you all know how it is.

Randy

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Id stay away from anything Multnomah, with the brown non-native trout and used condoms floating around. UP- river is definitly better. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts