IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best ramps to use for accessing the coon island area?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Tanner- Coon Island is about in the middle between ramps on the mainland. Upstream side would be Browns landing, but you have no parking, no dock (have to launch with someone in the boat) and no wake zone down through the docks.
Scappoose Bay is downstream and is a great place and you can run up the channel almost all the way to coon with only a couple of docks to go by.
If you go over to the island, the Gilbert river boat launch/docks are Just below Coon island. I haven't been there on land, can't tell you what it's like. It is only about a 1/2 mile below coon island. :grin:

PS- Coon island marina has docks, but no launch. You could slip your boat there I believe if you wanted to leave it in the water for a while.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Scappoose bay is a great launch and it's a short run to coon island. :smile:

Browns landing sucks as far as I'm concerned. Gilbert is nice but the drive to get there is long and slow and dont forget you need a pass to be on the island.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Scappoose is a nice facility, & plenty of parking. Gilbert is a steep one-lane ramp in good condition, parking is limited. Not sure about dock space - nice long dock @ Scappoose. *WATCH THE CHANNEL MARKERS*

Probably the same amount of time to drive to either.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone give me directions to Scapoose Bay Marina. I know where Browns is, I used to launch there all the time. I just have not fished the channel in probably 7 or 8 years

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
Just go through the booming Megatropolis of Scapoose. As you head toward St Helens, almost there, there is a boat ramp sign directing you off Highway 30 to it. About 2 or three miles past "West Lane" for perspective. You can actually see the facility from the turn off. It is a short run from Hwy 30.

Gilbert is a lot closer to Coon Island, but Scapoose Bay is reasonably close (probably 3-4 miles?). Don't forget to buy a Sauvie Island pass though, if you choose to launch there. Scapoose Bay charges to launch and park. $3 I think, but my buds always pay before I get around to it...

[ 04-10-2003, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Hogmaster ]

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
PS- there are NO FISH in MC, I repeat, you can not catch fish in MC! Especially if you speed going by all those docks and boats tied up. It scares the fish and they will not bite. If you fish the channel go 1 knot everywhere! :grin:

(Esp by Miss B's dock) :smile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are fish in MC--I had two on last Monday, and lost them both! I'm back there Sun and Mon coming up--and this time I'm not coming up empty.
:dance: :dance: :dance:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts