IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie when it comes to boat ownership and this weekend will be my shake down run on my new boat & my new to me 1986 6hp Johnson short shaft. I will be using this for duck hunting so basically only from point A to point B and no trolling. With a 3 gallon fuel tank and an oil mix of 50/1 how far do you think this puppy will take me? I am running a Grummon Sportboat (basically a 15 1/2ft. extra wide, flat bottom, square backed canoe that weighs 117 pounds empty and is rated for a 7hp motor).

Weight on the boat is a big issues as it may need to be portaged over land and what not while duck hunting. I am trying to figure out if the 3gl fuel tank will be fine or should I get a bigger one?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

· Registered
1,436 Posts
The three gal tank will be good enough. But suggest you take a extra can of gas. It can be another 3 gal. can or more. This is for safety. Measuring the gas consumption on a 7hp engine is more difficult because of so many variables. It will run all day 8 to 12 hours at trolling speed on 3 gal of gas. But at full speed this will change drastically. Distance traveled isn't a very good way to measure gas consumption on a engine used on water. Looking at your watch and seeing how long it takes to burn 1 gal of gas at full speed is the best way. It's called "Gas Per Hour" (GPH) and all larger boats should have this meter on their boat. With this knowledge you can calculate the actual gas that will be consumed. It's more accurate than a gas gage which are often not reading correctly.

Good Luck;

PS; If you was traveling on a river with the current against you it is possible to travel and not go any miles at all and burn all your gas.

· Registered
424 Posts
Yeah, and keep that cell phone DRY, Jimbo!:jester:

Seriously, man, go to the motor manufacturer's website and download the owner's manula for the motor. You should be able to get it in pdf format. I did that with the 3.5hp Nissan I picked up recently. It should list GPH figures in the manual which will give you an idea of fuel consumption. A "get home gas can" is probably the best advice on here about the matter, but don't forget a paddle for "just in case". A buddy of mine in Georgia lost the motor right off the back of his boat while hunting. Never retrieved the motor. Deepish water and unforgiving mud. Sadly no paddle on board or trolling motor and spent over 24 hours stranded.

1. extra gas
2. paddle

Not that any of this be a problem as we will be hunting together in your secret honey hole!:yay::jester:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.