IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally!

I'm finally moved out of Depoe bay and now unoficially a Longview and Washington resident for the first time.

Just got up here at brad's at 2:15am and he woke me up a couple hours later at 5:30 am and I don't feel too good except for the feeling of having the monkey off my back and living here.

Got to go before he gets too impatient (you know how those fisherman are). :wink:

Headed to the naeselle.
Wished we were going right here locally to the Cowlitz.

Give a report later and catch up on emails, etc.

Dan

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Welcome back, Dano. We'll sure miss you at Dopey though. Who's gonna take my picture when I shoot the gap next summer? Who's gonna take us fishing off the rocks, or take pics at the Depoe Bay Social Center? :grin:

Good luck up there - and keep posting! :smile:

Skein

·
Registered
784 Posts
Skein, you forgot one other "who's gonna", that may not apply to you but never the less...who's gonna help clean my fish. :wink:

Dan, glad you're getting much closer to being settled up in Longview.

Dave is looking forward to more fishing with you.

Dean

·
Registered
10,842 Posts
Ditto that Thumper!! :dance:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Congrats Dan,

I actually just moved to Vancouver, so I know what it feels like... well actually no, I didn't move from some place as cool as Depoe Bay. Anyway, looking forward to many more great stories on ifish outa you.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I was just thinking about you the other day... seems a long time since you blessed us with your input. What are you doing up your nasal, sinus problems? :laugh:

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Dano, it's about time. :grin: Call me, I've been hammering the silvers, you know where. :wink: Saw a guy catch three chum yesterday. Welcome to the great white North, and yes, I do agree, FISH ON.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Welcome to Washington Dan. What are we going to call you now???? Longview Dan? Cowlitz Dan? What's it going to be?

Steve

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
But don't the rest of you Oregonians get any ideas. We got enough of you already. :tongue:

G

·
Originally posted by Thumper:
But don't the rest of you Oregonians get any ideas. We got enough of you already. :tongue:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Too late. Fishin'Mission is in your hood (and rivers :grin: :shocked: ) now. :wink:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome to Longview, Dan. I just moved here from Oregon about 3 months ago. :grin: (That smile is because I just bought 130 ft. of Elochoman River frontage.) The builders should be finished with my new home next month. :grin: :grin: I just wanted to tell the last guy out of Oregon to be sure and turn out the lights. :dance:

gb

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys.

I'm not going to be on long because I am pretty worn out both physically and mentally.

I ended up spending some of my fishing sleeping under a tree in the rain but it ain't all that bad with neoprene’s and a rain jacket. That was at the Naeselle.

Brad came up and woke me up sleeping in his truck parked at the Elokyman to tell me how he just killed them and drug my tired bones down there.

Took a bad spill while fighting a chinook at the naeselle that decided it was more safer for him back out in the ocean and I attempted to follow him there before I realized the neoprene’s that I borrowed from Brad (mine leak) didn't have felt pads on the bottom. (Rather had my leakers and been wet)!
An ifisher witnessed the Chinook kick my behind and I believe he said he goes by 10 pound line. It was a bad spill or two or three. I think every time I got up I went down!

I rediscovered at the Elokieman :wink: that those "boot foot" waders aren't the hot ticket when you are doing some serious wading and moving around amongst those slippery river rocks. Downright dangerous in my opinion.

All in all, it was a pretty good day I guess but I was just too tired to enjoy or appreciate anything today but sleep.

Brad ended up with two very bright coho at the Naeselle but released the wild one being not sure whether you could keep it or not (you can) and one dark one he released.
I caught the one Chinook and let her go (about 20 pounds) even though most folks there would have kept her. She was pretty bright and I should of killed her for what she did to my knee and shen.

At the Elocoman Brad killed them while I fell asleep in his truck.
He woke me up and I was dazed and put on my waders and went down there without my eggs or fishing vest. :hoboy:
I ended up hooking a nice one that decided to book a non stop trip up the Elocoman and Brad asked; how’s your drag?
I said it’s fine. Pop! Oh bummer.
Brad thought that was kinda funny and ridiculed me about it a few times.
Then I remembered tightening my drag while fighting that Naeselle Chinook because I was getting tired of her having her way and also noticed 3 bad spots in the line from the Naeselle nook.
Too tired and making too many mistakes and noticed I didn’t have any patience what so ever.
I ended up with a nice bright hen that weighed around 15 pounds and a little buck that I let go because he wasn’t bright enough. I kinda got a new motto; it he ain’t chrome, he ain’t gonna go home.

With a banged up knee I decided to hike down river and have brad pick me up instead of hiking up this cliff with a knee that wasn’t willing to bend and try a hole that I hadn’t fished for a couple years with only two baits left.
There was a couple spinner fishermen there and I could tell they knew what they were doing.
They only had one chrome adult and jack but had released some dark ones.
My second cast/drift I felt the light chomping of a fish and set the hook and 15 pounds or so of chrome exploded on top of the water and the spinner guy said nice fish and I acknowledged him but didn’t get a real good look.
Then he decided to dance on top of the water and entertain us all and it was a chrome brute that was obviously disgruntled over the whole ordeal.
I just got done discussing the beast spot to land a fish at that hole with the spinner guys and felt slack, that disappointing sensation.
Spit the hook and that’s one I would have liked to have landed. Beautiful late strain coho.

Brad found me soon after and we were on our way home and I was glad.

Fightin’ keeping my eyes open right now and am calling it a night.
Might not go fishing tomorrow and just relax and recoup.
But after that I’m going to go kill some fish.
Earl, you know how to dial don’t you? :grin: I don’t know where your number is at with this moving and all. Was going to see if you were available to go in the AM as I know it will be good but I need the rest anyway.

Don’t know if I will change my avatar or screen name or not but suspect I will now that I don’t reside in Dopey any longer.

Just saw another hatchery report that is being published more disturbing than the Clackamas report and I ‘m getting to the point where it was somewhat bothersome to walk by the hatchery today on my way fishing realizing the problems that are creating to our all important wild fish that will perhaps list as endangered this year or next.

Might change my name to; “Born to be Wild” if it ain’t taken.
Will post this latest of many incriminating hatchery fish reports if I can get permission from the author.
This one is regarding 14 Oregon coastal rivers (including 2 lake basins) and is black & white as far as I am concerned and shows what happens to wild fish when you dump thousands of hatchery fish amongst them and the difference in the productivity of the coastal rivers that didn’t get the plants. There is definitely a trend and Tillamook needs to make some changes because Jerry Dove & Company’s plan is not working.
Tillamook stands out like a sore thumb on the charts when it comes to the wild fish productivity in relationship to hatchery smolts.

Anyway, more on that later and I’m hitting the rack now!

Anyone locally or not fishing any of these rivers shoot me an email and I ‘l see if I’m free to wet a line.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts