IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even with some rain, which muddied up the Klickitat....the Klick river mouth is still kicking out limits and near limits of chrome Coho.

Before the rain muddied it up last week, we were
getting lot's of bright Coho in the lower river.

All fish were caught trolling Fatfish and Wiggle Warts, with Hot tiger, Fire tiger, Flo Pink and Flo Red w/ Black herring bone being the best colors....Coho fishin @ the mouth of the Klickitat should remain good for the next month.

[ 10-26-2003, 10:03 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Wow, you really stacked em up. Thanks for getting those people to smile for the pics, I like fishing pictures with big smiles.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Robert,

All fish were caught trolling Fatfish and Wiggle Warts, with Hot tiger, Fire tiger, Flo Pink and Flo Red w/ Black herring bone being the best colors
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Any reason to go with one or the other? Flo red if it's cloudy? Fire Tiger if it's sunny? That kind of thing. Water's been muddy up near Camas.

Brion

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brion, no real pattern as to plug color vs. water conditions.

Whats most important is find those plugs that work and stick with them......for some reason some plugs just out catch others.....I have plugs in the above mentioned colors that have caught 40-60+ coho, they still out fish new plugs in the same colors 5 to 1 :cheers:

One thing I do to preserve these good plugs is run a 5'-6' 20# fluorocarbon shock leader..... just had to many Coho roll up 10#-15# line and break off w/ my good plugs. :mad:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
RapidRobert,

Thanks on the color/light/clear water stuff. I tend to stick to the lure that caught fish yesterday but always have the nagging feeling that on different days, times, etc. the fish will be going for something else.

One thing I do to preserve these good plugs is run a 5'-6' 20# fluorocarbon shock leader..... just had to many Coho roll up 10#-15# line and break off w/ my good plugs.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I'm way cheating there...I've got my lures tied directly to Mossy Geen SpiderWire which is crazy tough and seems to blend in visually with the greenish water. I was straigtening hooks and Dan Christopher told me to loosen the drag with that direct tie combo and that has been working.

Brion

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rola76, after the Klick muddied up last week, we've been fishing out front around the #55 marker...... in 12' to 20' of water, we've caught fish upstream of the marker all the way to the Lyle launch.

Brion, thats a great point......back off your drag a little, they sometimes it your plug so hard they'll bend hooks or pop your leader or main line.

Before the Klick went out, it was very clear 5'-8'of visibility......so thats why I use 20# or 30# Fireline w/ 6' of 20# fluorocarbon leaders, with great results.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Robert,

So you think the mono leader is a real plus with the Coho.

They've been hitting the direct tied Mossy Green Spider wire OK but I'd go for mono leader if it helps.

Visibility on the Columbia is improving from the recent mud so maybe the mono would be help.

Brion

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They've been hitting direct tied mossy green Spiderwire ok
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">...Brion whats ok?
whats your average trip?....maybe try runnung one rod with shock leader and one tied direct....see which gets more bites.

Using 6' flouorcarbon 20# shock leaders has helped us catch more and lose less Coho on plugs.

[ 10-27-2003, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Robert,

I fish by myself a lot so I always have to be the house on one rig.

I rigged some per your advice with a #30 Maxima Ultra Green mono leader but got another one today on the direct tie Mossy Green Spider Wire. I was going to go to the mono leader if the sun came out.

Brion

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brion, not sure what it is but I don't seem to get many bites with these small plugs using over 20# leaders......must deadin the action a little.

your finding some sucess on direct tied plugs, stick to it.....it's workin for you :cheers:

[ 10-28-2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Rapid,

I used the #30 because I had it on the boat, I'll get some #20 and redo them.

When I say direct tie, I've actually got a snap swivel on the end of the line and clip that to the snap ring on the nose of the plug.

I heard not to do that as it would hurt the action but they are trolling straight.

At 2 mph, I'm down about 8 feet with the plug.

I wonder if the fish are 2 feet off the bottom and that's the reason I'm hitting in 10 feet of water. I got some Walleye plugs that claim they go to 16 feet if I speed up so I'm going to try them and varying my speed as depth changes to keep'em right off the bottom.

Brion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts