IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has been fishing for URB's and Silvers at any of these river mouths and if any numbers of fish are showing? I'm looking to go this weekend but don't want to waste my time if it's still slow. Ok to e-mail me directly if you feel the need to. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
On any given day the mouth of the Lewis may produce a fish per rod, or zilch. This morning there was onlly one fish caught on the early outgoing tide for about 8 boats. No fall chinook or silvers yet, though there were several chinook caught a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I've been at the mouth of the Cowlitz for the past month. What Thumper said about the Lewis can be said about the Cowlitz. Some days are really good and others are very slow. There are far more steelhead being hooked right now than URB's or silvers. The water temp the other day was over 70 degrees--this will certainly play a factor on the salmon bite.

A couple weeks ago I saw a few chinook caught-nothing major yet though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fished the Cowlitz wednesday and in 8 hours we hooked into 1, 20 lb chinook. Watched 2 others get caught for the 10 boats I could see, and 6 steelhead. So, no - not real exciting yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What is the minimum boat size to fish this area? I want to give it a try but only have a 14ft. Any info would help.

Thanks

·
Registered
244 Posts
On a good day a rubber raft will work if you are so willing. It won't matter where you launch.

On a bad day if you are launching from the Cowlitz (Garhart Gardens area) your 14 footer will do just fine. Just try to stay inside the slough area. don't go into the Columbia.

BUT - if you launch in the Columbia on a bad day, that can get pretty rough. On a bad day the Columbia can have 3 to 5 ft waves with them white capping pretty good, in the middle of the channel almost right up to the mouth of the Cowlitz.

·
Registered
740 Posts
A 14' boat will work alright. The wind almost always picks up in the early afternoon which will cause problems crossing the river. Plan on getting wet! :bowdown:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Respawn --- The mouth of the Lewis is perfect for boats of any size. Many use 12-footers, many employ 21-ft sleds, and everything in between.

Put in at Beebe's just 500 yards up the Lewis, or at St. Helen's across the Columbia river. There are many other launching spots.

Fish on the outgoing tide using the St. Helens table. Plan to anchor or troll spinners, spinner prawns or flatfish (red or orange, sizes from F-7 through X-4, X-5 or U-20) using a spreader or a slider, 4 ft leader, 2-3 ft lead line. Stay on or near the bottom at all times, using enough lead to keep your rig close to the boat. If you anchor, do it well away from the trollers. Many folks who anchor use flatlined flatfish (no weight, 50 feet behind the boat).

Post here if you need directions. And if you see an old fart in a dumb Grumman jon boat, stay out of his way. He will shortly have a fish on.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
for years i fished the mouth with a 12'...never had a problem......however if the wind kicks up you will get wet

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Thanks for the reports. Has anybody tried any night fishing on the Columbia in these areas? Looking to get out Sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Many folks night-fish the mouth of the Lewis. They mostly employ Vortex or other lighted plugs, usually flatlined from anchor. See Fear No Fish's posts for his deadly techniques and recommended plugs.

Hang a bell on your rod and take a nap. Just make sure you deploy a single white light for the night. We wouldn't want to read about you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts