IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished out this way before, but usually head UPRIVER to try a little bobber-egg fishing. Saw there's gonna be a nice incoming tide saturday and thought i might try my luck out by the mouth.

Would love some ideas for this area!

I have only tried trolling spinners from the boat ramp on up river, but haven't tried out towards the breakers. Kwikfish? Herring? ALVINS?? :shocked: ....hmm, not sure about the alvins~ :tongue:

Anyway, i take it that it's a trolling show out there, similar to the jaws of the Nehalem. Is that true? Also, I hear Coho are milling about.
I wouldn't mind tapping into a few of these too. Any thoughts on either would be great!

:bowdown: Thank you, all...love to hear the input!

Sublime

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Havent tried too hard in the jaws cause i am lerry of those breakers and i cant wait to get upriver. But most i guys i talk to use cutplug with a fairly tight spin since you are not trolling very deep. You can also try to crab if you will be there long.

Below 101 at the glass house hole i think you can do well there too although it is tough to troll since somebody will be anchored there most likely. dont be afraid to throw bobbers there too on top of casting spinners and an alvin behind a banana weight. Good luck and if you go up higher enjoy the freak show. :cheers:

p.s. do everything you can to bring sand shrimp if you go upriver. try one guy with a cocktail and one just single sand shrimp under bobber. Still seem to be feeding last weekend. bring lots (pogeys).

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A friend of mine caught a couple nice Nooks aroun 20-25 lbs up in the glass hole a couple days ago. I was just wondering about closer to the mouth. should be a good strong tide in the morning until around 2pm or so Saturday! :cheers:

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Be real careful at the mouth! I've only fished it once but saw a guy get thrown overboard while fighting a fish. The day after my Brother in Law got thrown overboard while trolling.

It is a very narrow channel and breaks on both sides. To make matters worse the bite is on the outgoing tide so there is little margin for error.

Not really similar to the Jaws of the Nehalem. Much smaller and less forgiving.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sublime, if there are 5 boats fishing in there it can be really crowded. Use caution turning around, the breakers come from head on and the side. There are also some big rocks on the north side of the channel and a sand bar on the south you might have to watch out for if the tide gets out too far while your out there.
Be careful it's small but don't under estimate it. Good luck to yuh, I've heard some decent reports.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wasn't sure how crafty the swells were gonna be :shrug: , but thanks for the warning!~ :cheers: I hear they've had a good spurt of Silvers the past two days, so hopefully with a stronger tide, a few more will come in.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sublime,
Be extremely careful out there at the mouth. Two of my buddies lost their boats in that area over the years. When that tide starts to rip through there be prepared. It is a tight area and too many boats in that spot can be unhealthy. Used to take my wife over to the spit and she would setup a chair and umbrella (if wind wasn't to bad) and read a book while I fished the mouth. Pretty productive area for sure. Good crabbing too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I haven't fished Glass House in a couple years, but conventional wisdom was that it had begun to fill--resulting from the removal of a diversion upstream. Any truth to that? I know that last couple seaons I fished there it seemed to not be holding as many fish.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
A federal agency, I believe USFS, breached the dikes on the north side of the river below the 101 bridge a few years ago. Whether cause-and-effect or not, I don't know; but my fishing in Glass House went to pot the following year. I believe a lot of the hole has silted in, and the breach closest to Three Rocks Road changed the current flow through the hole.

The last time I fished there I hiked in from 101 in the dark. As daylight grew, I counted 14 boats lining the banks, plus the usual gang over on Ed's dock. I just can't do those crowd scenes. Haven't been back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts