IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're on their way. I've been lucky enough to land 2 Chinook in the last 3 tides I fished inside the Jaws. Last Saturday, there was a decent north wind blowing with around 12+ boats fishing just inside. I saw two other fished landed in addition to mine in about 3 hours of fishing the incoming. Both of my fish were around 20 lbs. Sunday fewer boats and I only saw one hooked--none for me.

A friend was out crabbing Monday and said he saw 3 guide boats having some success. He mentioned the guide boats were fishing at low slack?? I always figure incoming is best.

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
River Ranger-

Not to ask you to reveal any secrets here but can you give me the fishing Wheeler and upper Nehalem tidewater 101? I see boats right off the boat ramp in Wheeler and above Nehalem. I've heard this is a more trolled spinner show but I would feel lost fishing it. I've only fished plug cut at the mouth.

Any PM advice from others would be welcome. Thanks.

-Relative newcomer

Fished today and only heard of one taken in the Wheeler/101 area. We had one good take but thats it, dead as dead could be.

RR.

· Registered
5,159 Posts
All I do is fish cut pulg herring right on the bottom, some spinners. I prefer to troll in to the incoming tide at Wheeler and will troll with the outgoing tide. I'll usually troll from the island upriver from the ramp in Wheeler, down to Kahrs dock. then run up and start over.
follow the other boats in the area and your in. I start right in front of Wheeler on the incoming and move up towards 101 after making several passes, or a couple hours in to the incoming.

RR.

· Registered
920 Posts
Crabbing...I was down there today and stopped by Brighton Marina to check things out on the way back from Barview. Talked with to 2 different boats...one got 10 keepers and the other 7...both in 2 hours right in front of the Marina. I was so bummed that I wasted the high tide fishing for rock bass at Barview that I had to buy a couple for dinner. Also, they had oysters for $4.50 a dozen...had to get a few of those too.

I also touch base with the owners their and they said that today no one...even the guides...were having much luck at the mouth but those things change quickly. I was out trolling Wheeler on Tuesday and didn't see a single fish on.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Trolled cut plug and spinner, two rods on Thurs. a.m. at Wheeler, saw one hanging and one landed by a guide boat. Had one possible takedown, thought it might be the bottom, gets shallow by the island, hooks came up clean, no weeds, no bait.
3 crab off Brightons dock with the kids, four pots. The guys going out in the ocean were doing great. Saw a group at the State Park, must have had 48 layed out! Saw one guy pull up at the boat ramp after checking his pots, had two 5 gal. buckets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.