IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bankee and I have been fishing kalama and below since June with a little boating here and there and my Dad a Salmon greenhorn has some free time this weekend to test a lure or two in his 22' Bellboy. Would like any info as to a slot etc. I read the other post that is up but would like a little more info if possible. planning on the outgoing Saturday and Sunday 9/20 and 9/21.
Please PM me if info needs to be kept Zippered. Thanks in advance,
Dan

[ 09-20-2003, 06:09 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Dan --- Are you wanting to troll or anchor, deep for URBs or shallower for steelies? At the mouth of the Lewis or in the Columbia? Glad to help if I can.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thumper,
I was hopeing to get a reply from you. Thanks for the post and trying to help :grin: , ended up just heading out directly from work and didn't get back to ifish until now.
We started out just fine and just made it out of lake river in the LOW WATER there. Headed down just below the mouth of the lewis and picked 42 feet of water straight out in front of the opening in the trees that looks like it is used for traffic, dropped anchor and waited for the tide to begin running. At 2:30 the anchor pulled free and we began to drift..no big just reset right!...Went to start the engine and it wouldn't fire up..turns over fine..lots of fuel...has spark.. :shrug: :mad:
So...we head back in amoungst the other 50 boats and limping in on the kicker :blush: ..get it in the driveway, hook up the mouse ears and hit the key!
VROOM...just our luck :shrug: :mad: ! Will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Fin says that the area around the green can has been productive for him. Maybe he will respond. Others fish downstream from the mouth. I am really bad at this fall chinook stuff. Really bad.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The area at and below the green can has been producing at 50'. The N winds make it tough to stay straight. The early AM tide will be best.

·
Registered
856 Posts
And let me say this about the Mouth of the Lewis- The fishing has changed a lot in the last few years due to silt filling in the mouth. What was 10 feet deep last year is now 4 feet. If you haven't fished the mouth before, don't! It has a lot of fishermen that "do what we do" and if you don't know what we are doing, it's a mess! Saw a big glass boat yesterday come in that was dragging Jet Divers and some Wobblers. They don't know that the water came up to 4 feet and were long linning through 20 boats! Caught about 6 boats worth of gear and ****ed off a lot of people. Please take the time to learn the way it's fished before you just assume you are doing it right! No glass boats work- they are too big and clumsy with all that current! It can be bad when the wind kicks up. Even guys with canopys have a hard time with those "sails" on their
boats! Be prepared to "clang" your boat and watch out for your motors! Bottom line is, it's not for the novice or untrained fisherman- No matter what the "Hunting and Fishing Lies" or other news papers say! My suggestion is anchor way outside the mouth and watch before you enter the cluster of experienced crazy people that fish it! We are crazy- trust me!!

GotZem!!

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I partially agree with Gotz. We are a crazy group. But since it is a boat touchy-feely kinda fishing, most of us use boats that would actually look better with a couple of dings on them. A pretty laid back group of guys. Use enough weight to keep your line nearly straight down, and constantly check for the bottom. It will vary from 40+ feet to 6 in only a few forward yards. You earn your fish at the mouth of the Lewis!

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gotZem,
Thanks for your concern.
Have fished the area plenty of times with NO problems and am aware of the crazyness there.
Was just looking for the current info on the area since I have been fishing elswhere this year. Tight lines.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fished the mouth of the Lewis Sunday 6 am to 4 PM, on the ebb until 11:30. Saw only a few fish caught on the ebb, but a decent bite on the flood at about 2:30. Tough wind and some nasty chop,and some scary wakes from barge traffic, particulary in the shallow water. Be very careful - the shallow water comes up real quick. I keep the PFD on all the time - you just don't know when your will need it. Picked up a small clipped coho at 2 PM in 12' water, trolling upstream, K14 Kwikfish on 6' leader and 2' dropper, near the boundary marker. The fish hit it hard. Trolled spinner, cayote, and Alvin just off the mouth, in water from 50' to 3', both directions. No bumps at all, various depths off bottom. Trolled upstream to the beach area above Lake River, then motored across to work the Oregon side near the old beached workboat. No hits but marked fish. I was surprised at the action at the flood. Water 61 deg on the ebb, somewhat cloudy. Clear sunny sky, vey bright, windy. Lots of guys fishing with bait.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts