IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a Minn Kota trolling motor in my NW Jets 218 Lightning. I've attached a couple pictures of the Minn Kota outlet that I plan to install in the bow area. But my entire bow area is diamond plate. Looks good but doesn't provide a flat surface to mount this plug. You can see light under the plate that holds outlet in place.

Has anyone figured out how to make this type of installation on diamond plate both secure and waterproof? I'm concerned that just putting some marine sealant in there won't provide adequate support/firmness for the entire plate. Maybe use something like a metal filled epoxy to create a flat surface?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Household hardware Auto part Gas Automotive tire Engineering
Household hardware Auto part Gas Automotive tire Engineering
Table Automotive design Camera accessory Bumper Camera lens
Cloud Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sky
Cloud Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Sky

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is the inside vertical face of the gunnel large enough to accommodate the plug base, and is it smooth. I always prefer a vertical interior service for plug, regardless if they say they are watertight. I have mounted aluminum angle under the gunnel for downrigger plugs. If not, drill the hole and put plug in it; trace the base and grind away the diamond plate ridges.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the inside vertical face of the gunnel large enough to accommodate the plug base, and is it smooth. I always prefer a vertical interior service for plug, regardless if they say they are watertight. I have mounted aluminum angle under the gunnel for downrigger plugs. If not, drill the hole and put plug in it; trace the base and grind away the diamond plate ridges.
Will definitely mount on a vertical surface. Just have to figure out how to grind off diamond plate into a reasonably flat surface. Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Make your own thick CLOSED CELL rubber gasket to seal against the metal decking. The foam gasket allows you to not grind any diamonds down. If you move the socket plate / gasket around. You may find a spot with no need to drill on any raised edge of a diamond. Measure & think many times & ways. Cut 1 time.
Where are the bow cleats for docking & anchoring ? Nice looking welding there.
1 other caution about bolting the plate to the deck. You want to seal the space between the BOTTOM of the screw heads & the top of the socket plate.
My dock neighbor has a 19' Aluminum river boat. Went round & round when boat arrived With the trolling motor mounted too far forward & over hanging the hull. He does dock in crowded rigid concrete piers. They sent a field rep out to redo the installation.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Running a 24V 80lbs Minn Kota here.

My boat came with Motorguide wiring. I thought about switching to a Minn Kota receptacle but I thought they designed it way too big/overkill. I would think about switching to Motorguide and return the Minn Kota plug.

As far as install I would skip grinding diamond plate. Use a step bit and drill your connector hole. Drill you screw holes. Put a bead of Silicone around the backside of the bracket. Put silicone in each screw hole. Screw on bracket. If you don't like the results you can always take it off and then grind it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make your own thick CLOSED CELL rubber gasket to seal against the metal decking. The foam gasket allows you to not grind any diamonds down. If you move the socket plate / gasket around. You may find a spot with no need to drill on any raised edge of a diamond. Measure & think many times & ways. Cut 1 time.
Where are the bow cleats for docking & anchoring ? Nice looking welding there.
1 other caution about bolting the plate to the deck. You want to seal the space between the BOTTOM of the screw heads & the top of the socket plate.
My dock neighbor has a 19' Aluminum river boat. Went round & round when boat arrived With the trolling motor mounted too far forward & over hanging the hull. He does dock in crowded rigid concrete piers. They sent a field rep out to redo the installation.
Thanks for the closed cell foam rubber suggestion, I may have some that would work perfect in my box of things I didn't throw away because I might need them some day.

I don't have any bow cleats. I'm going to have to deal with that after I mount the Minn Kota. I have cleats that work fine for tying to the dock, but anchor is an issue.

I attached a picture of my probable Minn Kota location. I've thought about the liability of that sticking out of the front of the boat, but it isn't an issue for where I dock. Putting it there also is least compromising of bow space and allows me to open my front door. Thoughts on that appreciated too.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Road surface Vehicle

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Running a 24V 80lbs Minn Kota here.

My boat came with Motorguide wiring. I thought about switching to a Minn Kota receptacle but I thought they designed it way too big/overkill. I would think about switching to Motorguide and return the Minn Kota plug.

As far as install I would skip grinding diamond plate. Use a step bit and drill your connector hole. Drill you screw holes. Put a bead of Silicone around the backside of the bracket. Put silicone in each screw hole. Screw on bracket. If you don't like the results you can always take it off and then grind it.

I agree that the Minn Kota plug seems over designed. I noticed the Motorguide plug says 50 amps. The Ulterra 24V 80lb motors have a listed max amp draw of 56 amps. I suspect the Motorguide is fine as it has 8 gauge wire as does the Minn Kota plug.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Yep I saw the 50amp rating but used it anyway. No issues after 1 year of use.

Are you using the quick disconnect mounting bracket? I did and love it. I think it makes install easier too. I remove my motor about 4 months of the year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep I saw the 50amp rating but used it anyway. No issues after 1 year of use.

Are you using the quick disconnect mounting bracket? I did and love it. I think it makes install easier too. I remove my motor about 4 months of the year.

Yes, I'm using that same quick release bracket. Like the ease of removal and ability to use the Anchor Caddie Bow roller if I ever have a need for that.

Product Vehicle Gas Font Monochrome photography

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I decided to go with the closed cell foam idea as I had some 1/4 inch material on hand. Smeared it with Marine sealant also. It sure appears it will be waterproof but I'll check next time it gets wet.

Hood Light Motor vehicle Bumper Mesh

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have become a fan of not using plugs because of the potential for loose connections and exposure to elements. My current setup is leads from the motor to a terminal block, 4 gauge extension to a switchable breaker and a jumper to the battery. Always make sure the motor is disconnected from power before charging batteries.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts