IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Pretty amazing day. Never knew anything until my parents came home from Eastern Oregon. They turned on the TV to show me. WOW

My best friend and I were riding bikes all day. Knew nothing. Just another blue bird day in McMinnville.

Loved the ash cash I made cleaning up the neighborhood roofs and gutters during the other eruptions when the ash came south. Nice wad of cash for a 9th grader!!!

OK, commence with the yearly claims that Oregon got ash that particular day.

BU

Reactions: rowmanholiday

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I remember playing in the yard and hearing the boom and thought it was a sonic boom. Then heard that the mountain blew. Pitch black by lunch. We were in the red in the map Big Unit posted. We ended up with 3-4 inches. Now school the rest of that year.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Pretty decent song about Harry Truman...

The Spirit Lake Boy Scout camp was the best one I attended. I saw lots of really good sized fish when snorkeling in the lake. They had us scouts row from the lodge to camp...
No photo description available.

The mountain view was nice...

The scout camp was near Harmony Falls...
Water Nature Rectangle Plant Larch

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
One friend, since passed, was returning to Alaska, commercial salmon fisher. Was directly over the mountain when it blew. Flying Alaska airlines, He thought the plane would not make it, he almost flipped. Other friends have a fantastic photo of the mountain just before it erupted. Their friend in a private plane took the shot about 5 minutes before the eruption.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Pretty decent song about Harry Truman...

The Spirit Lake Boy Scout camp was the best one I attended. I saw lots of really good sized fish when snorkeling in the lake. They had us scouts row from the lodge to camp...

The mountain view was nice...

The scout camp was near Harmony Falls...
View attachment 980847
I was in the scouts those days and unfortunately we never made it to Spirit Lake. We did Cooper, Baldwin and Meriwether. Really wish we would have.

·
Registered
16,419 Posts
Was getting ready to go to work in Eugene that morning when I heard this odd double sonic boom. Was up at Bonneville fishing for shad a few weeks later and the mountain was still burping sulfur fumes.

·
Registered
10,922 Posts
If you’ve never climbed Mt. St. Helens, you should.

We smoked cigars for the final ascent, assembled plastic champagne glasses, popped the champagne cork into the crater and raised a toast. Mts Rainier, Adams, Hood, Jefferson etc all in prime panoramic view. Massive trees wiped out. Sulfurous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts