IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elwix and I met at the Ridgefield launch at 5:00 this AM for a day of salmon fishing. My main motor was hard to start and it always starts right up. (only 20 hours or so!) idled rough and no power. Couldn't get on plane. I thought about using the kicker to get to the mouth of the Lewis but as this is the first day of my weeks vacation, I thought it may be better to see if I could get it looked at. Called Jeff at Stevens in Tigard and he said bring it in and he would look at it right away. I know some people have had trouble with them so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will report back later.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The first thing I would check is your water seperator or gas tank and see if there is water in the fuel system.

·
Administrator
119,602 Posts
What kind of motor is it, Bill asks?
Or did I miss that?
Jen

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's a Marc 115 EFI. As far as the gas goes, the kicker (9.9 hp Merc) taps into the same tank, and it still runs smooth.

·
Registered
366 Posts
MacEFL,

I don't work on engines, but I bet you've got a fouled plug. I always vacuum pack a spare set of plugs for my outboard and keep them in the boat, pre-gapped and ready to go.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a Merc 115 EFI four stroke. As I was talking with the mech and the service mgr, I mentioned that I could never pull more than 4000 RPMS even when running properly. I told them I had ordered a smaller pitch prop. They asked what size was on there and I told them a 21. The said that was way too big and I said in a smart a$$ed tone, "well, you guys rigged it". I ended up leaving it with them today. I am on vacation and am bummed. Was planning on spending a long time on that boat this week. I bought a new boat to avert this kind of problem. They said that they would do whatever they could to get it back to me on Monday. Eric, the salesman who sold it to me said that if they had to they would rob parts from a new motor to fix it. Will report monday.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Could be a feul filter, lot's of contamination in new systems.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well today they told me that all of the fuel filters, even the ones at the injectors are clogged. Was first told that it would not be under warranty in that there was sludge in the tank. I only fill up at one of two Chevron stations. Then the service manager calls and said that he is "exploring ways to make it either low or no cost to me". He said that what appeared to be sand when dry was actually some kind of powder. So I still have no idea when it will be fixed. Said it could be eight or ten hours labor. AAAAAAAARRRRRGgggggggg!!! :mad:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Sludge in the tank? On a new boat? Sludge in the tank on an old boat? Never heard of anyone personally that had a "sludge" problem of any sort. Someone better analyze that sludge and tell us what it is! I guess its just me, but som ting soun fishy tu me.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Hey! Do I get some points here! :wink:
Anyway, the feul lines, feul tanks etc lie around welding, hose cutting, grinding enviroments, sitting in the assembly yard with the wind blowing dust around the gas tanks. There are all types contamination ingression.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would be worried about the tech and or sales guy's honesty.... sounds kinda fishy, anyone got any reccommend on a good mech as I will be needing a tune very soon for my 40hp merc/force. thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Great call Tilla. And good explanation of how the fuel system on a new boat could become contaminated during the building process.

Mac... Sorry to hear the news about your boat.
I was hoping to hear from you today, but I was hoping the news would be good. This is certainly no way to start out a week long fishing vacation. :depressed:
This definitely doesn't sound like a problem you should have to pay for though. I mean... That boat and motor are only 3 months old. What good is a warranty if it won't pay for problems caused by carelessness during the manufacturing process? Hope the dealership comes through for you. If not, perhaps a call to the plant where your boat was put together might get some results.
Either way I hope you get your boat back soon, so you can get in some quality fishing before your vacation is over.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I got my boat back yesterday and took it fishing today. The boat ran great, the fishing was slow. Was fishing sturgeon at St. Helens and only caught ten shakers for two rods. But, like I said, the boat ran great. I guess it was something in the tank. All they did was replace the main filter and flushed the tank. It was coverev under warranty. :dance: The invoice I was given showed 7 1/2 hours laborand 1 filter. Glad I didn't getstuck with that. If it happens again I will takecare of it myself. They also put the correct prop on it no charge but they should have done that right the first time. Went from a 21 to a 17. Went from 4000 RPM's WOT to 5700. It now pops right up on plane and actually picked up about 4 MPH. So I dohave a big smile on my face. Thanks to all of the support I felt from all who replied.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts