IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 115 mercury. It ran just fine until this weekend. The motor will not idle but if I apply a little throttle it will run while in idle. The motor also cuts out when put into forward. Forgot to mention, this is a jet drive 2 stroke. Please help with any info you can before I get taken advantage of by some boat mechanic.

[ 07-01-2003, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: The Fishing Geek ]

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
Put some Heet in the gas.
Check the carb for goobies.
Check for air leaks in the fuel system( between the carbs and the block). Too much air makes 'em idle rough.
If that does not do it for ya, check back and we will go from there.

Mark and the I know way too much about 115 Mercs already, and I am afraid I may learn more soon dog.

[ 07-01-2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Start by checking to make sure that your fuel/water separator is not filled with water. The problem could be water in the gas that has created corrosion in the carbs. I used to have a terrible time with my 140 Suzuki Jet. The thing would be fine, then start running just like you described. It would be next to impossible to get it to idle when the carbs got corrosion in them. Since the oil injection was after the carbs, I would add a little extra oil to the gas to keep the carbs from messing up. Finally got rid of this boat and went to an inboard so that I could do all the work myself. The repair bill was getting to be too much for the Suzuki.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts