IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wanted to share a positive experience with ifish. I needed to get some repairs made to the hull of the El Kabong. After searching the archives decided Motion Marine was the place to go.

Call them up to ask some questions and found they were extremely informative and helpful. Brought the boat down on Tuesday. Wednesday morning I get a call, boats is done!

Repairs look great and 1 day turn around! Can't beat it. Thanks to Motion Marine and Tim for his time and efforts.

EK

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I keep telling folks that Motion Marine is a great company and the people are very skilled. Tim did some work for me a couple of months ago. New zincs and some custom diamond plate work was all I was having done, but he met me at the shop at 6 a.m. with a smile on his face and had me on the road in 35 minutes. This is one of the main reasons I purchased a boat from them.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Tim just fixed some hull cracks and built my welded on trolling motor bracket for me and did an awesome job. He also plumbed a hot water system in through my trolling motor so now I have nice warm water to wash my hand with while fishing.
Mark, Tim, Jason and the rest of the Motion Marine crew are great, down to earth people. My next boat WILL be a Motion Marine.
Tanner

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishing Fever,

I asked Tim about a kicker bracket also. I believe he said they start at $450

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks El Kabong. Tundra, I have the OMC bracket now but was looking at having a hand washing station, fixed bracket.

By the way, I fished out of Hammond this weekend and noticed a lot of Motion Marines out there; covered sleds, open boats, and some open guide boats too. Maybe they are getting more popular...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
They charged me $450.00 for the welded on bracket and $130.00 for the plumbing for warm water system. It was well worth the money.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
From what I have seen, MM can do some good work and some work looks like it needs some improvement. Like some of their welds. Some are awesome and some look like a huge group of chickens were set loose and went to the bathroom on the metal. :wink:

Not trying to put down MM, but there are somethings I have seen that would stray me to a different brand boat.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
fishingfever, I noticed the same thing. Have had my boat for over 4 yrs now and in the beginning I rarely saw another one. Now I see them every time I go out and the numbers are definately increasing. Get out on the water in one and you'll know why.

p.s. Every weld on my boat is perfect. I would be willing to bet that every MM owner on this board could say the same thing. These boats are not mass produced on an assembly line. They are built by a small group of craftsmen who take alot of pride in the finished product.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Tundra,

I know a couple people with MM's and I would say the same thing about their boats. Some of the craftsmenship is good and some needs a little help. Don't get me wrong, MM is innovative and they are nice boats to fish from, but when you have some cracking issues and asthetic issues, I question the boat. I am fully aware of how MM's are built and by who they are built.

My friend's MM has just about every option you can get and it is a cool boat, but it is not very old and has some issues already. Maybe because it was such a custom job? :shrug:

As far as perfect welds goes, a welder will probably have a different opinion than an average customer. :wink: JMO about the brand.

[ 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
There are several different types of kicker brackets they can do for you. Could be a real simple inexpensive job or a bit more complicated depending on your situation. I had them install the OMC bracket. The bracket alone is 350 bucks or more just about anywhere you shop. Motion Marine installed it with some additional supports they welded on. Very happy with it. If I remember correctly they also had a stationary fixed bracket with a built in bait box designed in polished diamond plate. Pretty cool.

[ 09-09-2003, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: TundraIII ]

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Microfish, Willie Boats are great too. Had a hard time choosing between all the different makes. They are all very comparable. My final desision to buy this boat was based on the locality of the shop where it was built and because of the people who built it. You wont hear me knocking any other boat manufacturer by name, simply because I dont own any of those other boats.

·
Registered
135 Posts
just to mention names, i looked at some north rivers at the local dealer,some had good looking welds some had big globs,dayshift vs. swingshift. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Exactly

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
After spending the last two months looking at a ton of boats I have a few insights, or observations. The weld does not make the boat. I think what makes a boat is how you feel when using it.
Does it have enough power...this is an important question, that only the purchaser could answer.
Does the boat drive well (straight, easy to handle)?...see above
Does it have the amenities you need (fish well, hardtop, soft-top, swim platform, locking rod, etc.....)?...see above
Are you happy with the value of your purchase?...see above
I guess what I am saying is, a company does not stay in business without making a product that people are willing to spend their hard earned money on. Motion Marine makes a top notch boat, but so do others.
As of today, Motion Marine is my first choice as a fishing boat; based on construction, style, usability, value, convenience, and past customer satisfaction.
Who knows, maybe tomorrow my mind will change.
BBBB

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Originally posted by BuzzerBabysBigBrother-BBBB:

The weld does not make the boat.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I just wanted to make sure I read that correctly.
:hoboy:

When you get your boat, hit a wave with it and the back transom falls off with your motor, remember this statement you made. :wink:

I am not a boat builder, but usuallly to combine two pieces of aluminum, you need to WELD them together. If the WELD breaks, your boat falls into pieces. Kind of important in a structural vessel like a boat I would say. :wink: :grin:

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
You'll make a great engineer someday since you already know everything there is to know about anything. :hoboy: :sleep:

·
Registered
537 Posts
I believe one of the other major boat builders sends its repair work to MM. Makes me think that if another boat builder trusts MM work I sure would.

Pat

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Originally posted by WaterDog:
You'll make a great engineer someday since you already know everything there is to know about anything. :hoboy: :sleep:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">If that was directed at me waterdog, you better start justifying your statement. :hoboy:

It kind of comes with the territory of studying harder than most your whole life (Hence Engineering major and not a "com" major). :wink: Just a little engineering sarcasm. :grin:

You tell me one thing I have posted that is bad and I'll listen, but I would say you are a little persuaded since you own one of these boats that are in question. There is a little thing called "Quality Control" in the buisness world. I am sure that if you work with poo all day, you are familiar. It has to do with checking the product for flaws and things. I am just saying that some of the things I have seen in regards to those boats have made me cringe. That is my personal opinion and has nothing to do with what major I am studying. Common sense in something you develop your whole life. :wink: I am a perfectionist (comes with the territory of dealing with designing for use when human life is involved). Some may settle for a mediocre product and that is fine. :wink: The memeber asked for opinions about Motion Marine and I gave him mine. Doesn't mean mine is wrong because it doesn't agree with yours either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts