IFish Fishing Forum banner

Motion Marine Boats??Good or Bad??

7K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Fish Hawg 
#1 ·
Been looking for a new boat and I just started looking at the Outback Fishing Machine.Can anybody tell me the ups and downs of these boats?? And is the sportjet a good motor.Or should I stick to an outboard tiller?? I dont see alot of these out on the water so I just wanted a little input on them..It seems like you might have a little more control of the motor being that it is a inboard tiller than trying to hold on to a outboard 200 tiller?? Thats alot of money for me to spend so I want to do it right the first time..thanx..... :grin:

#2 ·
Never been in a floating one but took a hard look at them at the boat shows. I really like the storage they have in the bow for the anchor, rope and ball. Inside storage room is awesome too. Most people dont realize but storage room should be a priority... I have a ton in my Alumaweld and love it. I also like the engine through the transom deal they got going. Inboard with all the room of an outboard. And the location of the fish box on the swim deck is a great idea too!

:cheers:

#4 ·
I've got an 18' forward helm outback with a 175sj. Wouldn't have it any other way for a sled type boat. :grin: I recommend opting for a heavier trailer however. :rolleyes:

You can send me a PM if you have specific questions.

#5 ·
I sat in the MM office trying to order a boat. They will tell you they are a custom builder. But they did not want to entertain some of my requests.

Their trailers are a not as high of quality than some of the other makers. While a lot of folks seem to glaze over this, think of this-If you have to buy a new trailer, a good one will cost 3200-3500. Waterdog has a nifty MM on one of their stock trailers. Ask him what he thinks.

For the amount of money they want for a new sled, I feel a quality boat, motor, and trailer should be involved. Not some bolted cheap as they could find unit with plastic of cheap sheet metal fenders.

The SJ is a wonderful powerplant. The MM hull is a great design. They are narrower than advertised( at least the 3 I measured in the production area).

Mark makes a fine boat. And if you want to buy one of his package deals "As is, that means no changes from what he offers in his package, then they are a fair deal. But if you order much custom stuff, it gets expensive fast.

Willie and Alumaweld make very solid across the board rides. I can get much more boat used than new.

NR offers a solid boat too, but I am willing to let someone else R and D their aluminum trailers. They may be the best thing going, but I am curious to see how the metal does after many years on the road.

The actual effort in running an outboard will be the same no matter what. A SJ IS a 200 Merc. The handle MM uses is the same as any Merc will get.

The SJ will forever be a jet only unit. I am buying a sled with a pump and a prop up front. For big water( B-10 and pcean) a prop is the real deal. Better on fuel too. So the outboard is much more vresatile. But it is at a very steep price if you buy new.

Best of luck to you.

Mark and the dog.

#6 ·
IMHO...Motion Marine get the "Monster Marine" award for most creativity in boat buiding.(like the Discovery Channel program. Boiceject would be another.) I looked at MM but just couldn't justify the expense over the NR I now have.

The other thing the impresses me about MM is that they do add on work. As I recall they retrofitted an ifishers aluminum outboard boat, and turned it into a Sportjet. :shocked:

#7 ·
love my Motion Marine, no regrets. The trailer is an EZ loader and is just ok. It would be nice to have a better trailer, but I didnt buy the boat for the trailer and regardless of the fact that it aint a fancy trailer, I'm sure it will continue to provide many more years of reliable service. Get the built in fish box, it's great. I have several of the "custom" options on mine. The suspension seats are wonderful. I have no complaints about my boat, except that I am having some paint issues. The price of buying a boat with paint. I have had no warranty problems and have never had to have my boat repaired. I'm very happy with my purchase from them. Plus, they are located close by and if you need or want something added on you can drop off the boat in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon in most cases. Great folks there too.

#8 ·
I'm very happy with my Motion Marine 20' sx outback. They offer trailer options and have not been using as many EZ Loader trailers lately. I realy like the kicker brand of trailers even with the extra expence. Motion Marine goes the extra mile to prevent electrolis. Now I want a 28' 10' beam Motion Marine blue water boat for the Ocean.

#11 ·
The Sportjet is a fascinating powerplant. Way more power than a Merc 200 outboard jet (175 hp vs. 140 hp), way lighter than a 200 hp jet, and basically half the price. Woof!

And here is an even more intriguing aspect --- by moving that outboard motor a couple of feet forward (as does the SJ inboard application), the boat balances much better, draws less water, and thus boondogs in shallower tailouts.

That is hard to beat.

#12 ·
wambam,

do you have a brother named Boater? :wink:

Just wondering.

Have you ever run a sport jet?

Mark and the dog.

#14 ·
Having Motion Marine put the sportjet and outback on my boat was the best thing that could have happened for me. It was the perfect fit for my landing craft. Can't say enough good things about MM. Mark is a little rough around the edges but he really is a good guy when you get to know him. :cheers:

#15 ·
Oh, I see.

That is funny. Most folks I hear complain about the SJ and LOVE the 200 Merc. Go figure.

I have an idea- Lets have my people meet with your people and they can hash this out over lunch.

Mark and the dog.

[ 09-03-2003, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

#17 ·
Purchased MM boat #68 5 years ago. Great hull and the Sportjet has been solid and trouble free after over 170 hours. Mark has come up with a lot of innovations that a lot of other builders will not bother with. I bought this boat to keep it for some time and am very happy with it. The trailer has been fine so far but do plan to upgrade someday.

#19 ·
#20 ·
If you like the idea of having your offshore engine bracket falling off with your outboard motor attached, consider getting a MM. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.