IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick tip for somebody who is learning to back up the trailer. Have them put their hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, not the top. Then just tell them to turn their hand the way they want the trailer to go. Works everytime. Gives the confidence they need. Hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and go slow.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thank you! Scappoose bay marina it is. I'll try my luck there and hope the wait isn't too bad. I have a lot of expierence backing up trailers so I think I'll take the wheel when we get to the marina. Thanx for the green bouy tips mastercaster. I would hate to get the boat stuck. I'll let you all know how the day goes. Any more suggestions? Speaking of which, what is the best way to present a prawn to these wily nookies? Pin it straight or with a slight bend? Use a spinner blade in junction or just troll it naked? Thanx again guys!

·
Registered
529 Posts
you take a right at Bennett Road right across highway 30 from 2 brothers mexican and Pizza Resturaunt. After the tracks take a left on old Porland Road. Go about a half mile and it's on the right. don't forget to pay for your parking. It cast me$25 smackers last week. I thought it was free for cars. :shrug: . nice ramp. Tom

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey ya'all.
I'm taking my Dad out fishing on the Columbia this week. He's pulling the boat with his rig and doesn't have to much expierence backing up trailers. In addition, my wife is coming along. It should be a great day, even if we don't catch fish. My question is, which boat ramp near the St. Helens area should I use? I will have two rookies with me and the boat ramp in oldtown St helens near the courthouse and marina seems as if it may be a bit crowded. What is it like there during the peak of the season? Having learned from a previous thread that I can use a ramp on either side of the river even though we are carrying OR licenses, which boat ramp is set up the best? Any advice or suggestions would be very helpful. Thanx, Luke

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Suggest you try the launch at Scapouse Bay... right behind the Kayak shop. Good ramp, nice docks on both sides, plenty of parking. $5.00 to launch/park if I remember correctly.

Follow markers out closely as gets shallow at low tide. Puts you out on Mult Channel very close to Columbia River & St Helen's Paper Mill.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
I usually use Scappoose Bay Marina but on Saturday it was an hour wait to launch and that was at 5:30 AM! Wed should not be that bad but an hour... YIKES! It would have been way longer if I did not have my buddies with me as I just piloted the boat off the trailer. If you need to tie up and take it off with ropes it could be a lot longer. I heard from a friend that St. Helens had no wait :shrug:

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Saturday was the Scappoose fishing derby. An hour wait is not the norm on Saturdays. Usually no more than 15 minutes. It is by far the best ramp in the area.

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
78 Posts
What used to be called Bayport Marina (I think it is called Scappoose Marina now) is a nice ramp with plenty of room and parking. It is before you get to St. Helens and puts you into Multnomah Channel near the mouth. You can see it from Hwy 30 before you get to St. Helens...unfortunately I don't recall the name of road.

It is generally more crowded than the downtown ramp but doesn't have the parking issues and is a much nicer ramp.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bayport Marina is on Old Portland Road across from the moose lodge.

Ray G.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Couple of suggestions for you. Have Dad practice in a large parking lot...one with lines so he can get the feel of things. He needs to learn if he is going to be a boater.

The second, if he is having trouble at the ramp, ask for help. Let someone with experience back it down for him. It will save frustration for everyone.

Giz...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Another vote for Scappoose Bay Marina very nice place $3 for launch and $1 to park. One word of advice watch the buoy's on your way in and out. Keep the green markers on your right on the way out <stay closer to the left shoreline>.If you were to go to the right of the green on the way out it could get ugly quick!

Im sure most know this but thought I would throw it out anyway.

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Bayport and Scappoose Bay Marina are the same thing. Used to be called Bayport, now it's Scappoose Bay Marina. Only took me 10 minutes on Saturday, but I got there at 5:20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts