IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,725 Posts
I’m not so sure I would personally want to eat ANY Sturgeon from above the falls. Can you say Wah Chang? I m sure other people have and do eat them . Just me that would be no thanks. Some of the resident Willamette fish are no better. I’ve caught some of them there that looked real rough if you know what I mean.🇺🇸

Reactions: hoghauler

· Registered
161 Posts
I’m not so sure I would personally want to eat ANY Sturgeon from above the falls. Can you say Wah Chang? I m sure other people have and do eat them . Just me that would be no thanks. Some of the resident Willamette fish are no better. I’ve caught some of them there that looked real rough if you know what I mean.🇺🇸
Believe me there are a lot of other bad sources of pollution in the Willamette other than Wah Chang. Just look at all the stuff that runs off city strees into creeks. The radioactive stuff Lloyd Marbet protested in the 80s was removed years ago. It made headlines but was pretty harmless compared to a lot of other stuff there. Look up hydroflouric acid or silicon tetrachloride.

There are still combined sewers that overflow into the river on wet days up here. My activist neighbors here in Corvallis would be horrified if they knew on rainy days their poop ended up in the river

· Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Personally… I’m not a big fan of eating sturgeon at all, and neither is our family. I like it smoked….. but how much smoked sturgeon can one guy eat?

I used to fish sturgeon a lot more years ago, but rarely mess with it now. But…..The Willamette sturgeon are like pulling up logs compared to fish closer to the coast. Totally different fight to them fishing them in shallow water above Astoria, or catching them in the ditches between the oyster hole and Memaloose point in Tillamook bay in 10-12’ of water.

These things are a whole different fish in shallow water… A Tail walking, running fish in the 40-60# range is a hell of a battle too….. I can remember 3 day trips to Astoria wher we came home with seriously sore arms from fighting fish. And…. I was in damn good shape in those years.

moral of story…. If you want a truly fun sturgeon experience, I’d recommend fishing the flats above Astoria and catch these things in shallow water instead of the deep holes on the Willamette. Kirk

· Registered
1,869 Posts
Just Curious if my computer is not refreshing properly, or if this has not yet been posted in the regulation updates on the ODFW site. Also a bit curious about the January 20 date for John day pool, is that a typo and supposed to be the 28th? Seems like if it closed on the 20th we should have had more warning for those guys that went last saturday, monday and wednesday

· Registered
7 Posts
Personally… I’m not a big fan of eating sturgeon at all, and neither is our family. I like it smoked….. but how much smoked sturgeon can one guy eat?

I used to fish sturgeon a lot more years ago, but rarely mess with it now. But…..The Willamette sturgeon are like pulling up logs compared to fish closer to the coast. Totally different fight to them fishing them in shallow water above Astoria, or catching them in the ditches between the oyster hole and Memaloose point in Tillamook bay in 10-12’ of water.

These things are a whole different fish in shallow water… A Tail walking, running fish in the 40-60# range is a hell of a battle too….. I can remember 3 day trips to Astoria wher we came home with seriously sore arms from fighting fish. And…. I was in damn good shape in those years.

moral of story…. If you want a truly fun sturgeon experience, I’d recommend fishing the flats above Astoria and catch these things in shallow water instead of the deep holes on the Willamette. Kirk
I'm with you. The estuary fish are a totaly different fish. They also eat better living down in the estuary and ocean chasing fresh(er) bait fish vs upriver basically filtering the silt looking for mud bugs and whatever other detritus they can find.

I'm with you on eating them too. I don't eat any fried food anymore and the only way I like it is either fried or smoked so I usually just buy a couple pieces when it comes up for sale at the fish monger and that's good enough for me. Speaking of which, I have a few pieces I should probably think about smoking for springer snacks.

· Registered
4,452 Posts
Just Curious if my computer is not refreshing properly, or if this has not yet been posted in the regulation updates on the ODFW site. Also a bit curious about the January 20 date for John day pool, is that a typo and supposed to be the 28th? Seems like if it closed on the 20th we should have had more warning for those guys that went last saturday, monday and wednesday
Saw that myself. One page says closed on Jan 20 and I'm reading it on Jan 24 and now it's saying Jan 25 and no update on the quota????

· Premium Member
21,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice catch...yeah...I hit the 0 instead of the 9...we corrected it...sheeeesh...

· Premium Member
21,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm with you. The estuary fish are a totaly different fish. They also eat better living down in the estuary and ocean chasing fresh(er) bait fish vs upriver basically filtering the silt looking for mud bugs and whatever other detritus they can find.

I'm with you on eating them too. I don't eat any fried food anymore and the only way I like it is either fried or smoked so I usually just buy a couple pieces when it comes up for sale at the fish monger and that's good enough for me. Speaking of which, I have a few pieces I should probably think about smoking for springer snacks.
Eat whatever you'd like, but also be aware that sturgeon move freely and frequently between the Willamette, Bonneville and the estuary...They're not territorial or sedentary...in fact, many of them head out to the ocean (they can do that) and go north and south.

· Registered
2,725 Posts
Eat whatever you'd like, but also be aware that sturgeon move freely and frequently between the Willamette, Bonneville and the estuary...They're not territorial or sedentary...in fact, many of them head out to the ocean (they can do that) and go north and south.
I agree with this for the most part. I’ve caught hundreds of sturgeon from Cascade Locks to Astoria. In the spring we would catch most of our fish out in Columbia below the mouth of the Willamette and down to the St. Helens area. 95+% of these “spring” fish were In beautiful shape. Sharp scuts white bellies and an almost Silver sheen to their sides and backs. They were migratory fish.At the least a very nice grey color. A lot of fish we caught in the Willamette were a brown color with dull scuts and a brownish grey belly. Some even had lesions or sores on them. They didn’t look healthy at all. I’ve caught them above the falls that looked that way. So there was a big difference in appearance and quality on these fish. We never kept a lot of them regardless of appearance simply because they were bottom feeders. And Sturgeon is an extremely rich tasing fish. I loved it but ate it in limited amounts. I will admit a lot of this was a long time ago. But some of those fish are still around. That Willamette was a Superfund cleanup site (might still be) with a lot of heavy metals and nasty chemicals in the bottom. I’m sure there is still amounts of it leaching into the river. Will be for eons. It will take decades for the river to repair itself. The government sure as hell will never get it cleaned up. Many other places up and down the Willamette and Columbia that had “all” kinds of garbage dumped into them. The Multnomah channel as well. To believe otherwise is a complete fallacy. To this day a very sad situation.:(🇺🇲

Reactions: hoghauler

· Registered
1,869 Posts
Saw that myself. One page says closed on Jan 20 and I'm reading it on Jan 24 and now it's saying Jan 25 and no update on the quota????
Nice catch...yeah...I hit the 0 instead of the 9...we corrected it...sheeeesh...
ODFW site updated yesterday afternoon, kinda figured typo on the oregon live post, Thanks for keeping us up to date Bill.

· Registered
7 Posts
I agree with this for the most part. I’ve caught hundreds of sturgeon from Cascade Locks to Astoria. In the spring we would catch most of our fish out in Columbia below the mouth of the Willamette and down to the St. Helens area. 95+% of these “spring” fish were In beautiful shape. Sharp scuts white bellies and an almost Silver sheen to their sides and backs. They were migratory fish.At the least a very nice grey color. A lot of fish we caught in the Willamette were a brown color with dull scuts and a brownish grey belly. Some even had lesions or sores on them. They didn’t look healthy at all. I’ve caught them above the falls that looked that way. So there was a big difference in appearance and quality on these fish. We never kept a lot of them regardless of appearance simply because they were bottom feeders. And Sturgeon is an extremely rich tasing fish. I loved it but ate it in limited amounts. I will admit a lot of this was a long time ago. But some of those fish are still around. That Willamette was a Superfund cleanup site (might still be) with a lot of heavy metals and nasty chemicals in the bottom. I’m sure there is still amounts of it leaching into the river. Will be for eons. It will take decades for the river to repair itself. The government sure as hell will never get it cleaned up. Many other places up and down the Willamette and Columbia that had “all” kinds of garbage dumped into them. The Multnomah channel as well. To believe otherwise is a complete fallacy. To this day a very sad situation.:(🇺🇲
All things considered, it has come a long way for a large metropolitan watershed. The sample numbers have been good and overall some of the enormous projects to clean up the river have been successful to a degree. The damage is done though. It will take generations for all of those heavy metals to wash out of the riverbed and even then, they are just going to end up in the ocean. BUt, as you said, you can pretty easily tell which fish have been where. The Willamette fish are darker, but occasionally you catch a really bright one that is migrating or moving around. The bite/fight are much different as well. The Willamette fish are generally kind of lazy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts