IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an Abu garcia Morrum? What do ya think yea or nea? It has to be tough and durable. I have to have a reel that will handle 50+ fish a year.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
W.R.O.
I was somewhat skeptical, but ran into an auction or two on ebay that netted me 3 of these Morrums. All I can say is that I'm absolutely impressed. The Morrum does for Ambassadeur what the Calcutta did for Corsair in the Shimano world. No comparison. Fish a Morrum and you'll be trading off your 5500, 6500s. They are that much smoother and backlash free. No slop in the geartrain and a drag that adjusts forever.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I have 2 Morrums in the 3600 model. Nice solid little reels. Bought them for summer steelhead last year and they did see quite a bit of summer chinook action,too. They have a very smooth drag,5 bearings and a roller bearing so the handle has zero reverse slop.All barstock formed and lazer etched. So far, they have held up very well. They are equal to the Calcutta of similar size, but better than the Calcutta 200 model with fewer bearings. They are spendy, however.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ryan, I've never used one but I was really interested in getting one a year or so ago but they only make it in a right hand retrieve. I would say that is a fair comparison though.
It's Abu's calcuttta.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have one in a left hand retrieve and love it. Great real.

·
Registered
395 Posts
llabwolg, Is this the morrum thats like $300+, cuz I've talked to the Abu reps a couple of times and they said that they didn't make a morrum in a left retrieve and didn't have plans on doing it since the majority of their sales are right hand retrieve except in the northwest.
Not doubting you, just trying to make sense of what I've been told since I would've loved to have bought one.

Later Geoff

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I believe you can get the L retrieve in the SX model which is about $329 list. Go to the ABU site under the Fishermans Factory Outlet and I believe they are selling some SX's for about $179. I personally would not pay $329 for the reel.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a couple of the leftys and when I bought them I was told they were the Europeon model. In other words they supposably had just made them for over seas. Why I don't know but I do know they were a pretty good reel, really smooth and solid. Had to order them.
<)))><

1 - 8 of 8 Posts