IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Sat. below Bonn. with Leatherneck, Fish Hawk ,and a long time lurker :cheers: ...Had a slow morning, but things really picked up in the afternoon. We started out with a small 8lb chinook, then landed a nice 18lb hen. Finished the day off by breaking anchor and chasing this 28 lb hen downriver
In between we had a number of hard takedowns that didn't stick.The key seemed to be small spinners in shallow water. Thanks again to leatherneck for finding the fish!

[ 06-24-2003, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: 6wapiti6 ]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Check out the beer gut on that fish! :cheers: Wow, is that fat. Nice fish.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks for the report 6wapiti6! Sounds like a nice day out there, nice job!

Question for ya, where do you put in out there near the Bonn? And how do you get there? Is there just a boat ramp out off of I-84 somewhere? And could you be a little more specific as to where you caught these fish...
I've never fished out there before.

Again, nice job!

The picture works for me now, Nice Fish! I'm jealous :rolleyes:

[ 06-24-2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: skahorse ]

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
skahorse,there is a boat launch at Bonniville dam on the Wa. side,turn in and follow the road West
when the road starts a slight turn to the right
you will see a paved road turning left.This will take you to the launch.BE CAREFUL there is a lot of current up there.Then head downriver you'll see the boats anchored by an island.You REALLY need to know what YOUR DOING UP THERE it can be and is very dangerous there is a ton of current to deal with.If you haven't had a lot of exp. anchoring your boat in pretty fast water this is no place for you,your just endandgering yourself and other boaters that are already anchored.They do a lot of trolling just below the launch also.There is a launch on the Ore. side but I don't know what the exit # is.You should go with someone who knows whats going on up there a couple times before you try it yourself.There will be fish down here so its not really nessacary to go up there yet.I'm not trying to scare you but you need to know this stuff before you go trucking up there and get yourself in trouble.ME ?? I don't fish up there catch all I can eat down here.
Bob :smile:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks for the info dawhunt! Being a beginner boater(involving sportfishing, I've been waterskiing and jetskiing for years... but that's different) I tend to stay away from anchoring in the first place. I try to stick to trolling, excecpt for the slower water. The reason I ask is because alot of threads concerning Summer Chinook that I have been reading have been saying to head up to Bonneville. Saying that the fish aren't downhere in the PDX area. Is this not true?

Dawhunt, were do you put in at? I went to Chinook Landing the other night, and was pleased with it, other than the fact that I live in Hillsboro...

Thanks again.

--Skahorse

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Nice fish Matt! Congrats! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
skahorse,
Dawhunt runs out of Camas/Washougal so Chinook landing works also. There are ramps in the area of St. Johns and Multnomah Channel which will get you out on the Columbia also. These ramps should be closer to Hillsboro.

Probably the main reason for hearing that Bonneville is so hot is that the fish tend to stack up in the pool(really fast water pool) below the dam. The current seam is also a lot more defined up there.

Just remember. The fish have to swim from Astoria to get to the dams. I'm by no means an expert at this, but there are a number of places in the lower river that get hot bites also. Check the archives from last summer..... :wink: :wink:

Good luck. Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
561 Posts
6wapiti6....Had a great time watching you rip lips that day along with a ifish lurker. To bad you couldn't go with us Sunday. The ifish lurker picked up a 19# chinook and a 6-8# Native steelhead. I had a huge chinook on but lost it due to another line tangled in mine. We also had more take downs on sunday than saturday. Not a bad weekend...28,19,15,8 pounders and a steelhead. I'll be up there this friday and sunday/monday if you can make it. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Nice fish 6wapiti6!!!

I still am going to have to drag your captain out into the Big Blue sometime this year, right John!!

[ 06-26-2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: ANDYCOHO ]

·
Registered
561 Posts
Andycoho....How about pick the phone up and give me a call. :grin: Your to busy being a salty dog. Those ocean fish might be alot of fun but theres nothing better than catching summer steelhead on a 90 degree day on small gear. Have alot of fun in Hawaii. It sounds like you and your wife are going to be pretty busy. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the final results !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait until it hits the bbque!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.