IFish Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Had a big old boy snapper float by me one time while fishing the N. Fork Shenandoah when I lived in Virginia. Pretty cool to see but also a bit intimidating.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
There are so many types of fighting turtles!

Common snapping turtle (as OP has)...

Nature & You: Many misidentify Oklahoma's common snapping turtle

Alligator snapping turtle...

Squirtle...
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/59/Pok%C3%A...

Wartortle...

Blastoise...
assets.pokemon.com/assets/cms2/img/pokedex/full...

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
WHO WANTS SOME LIVE ACTION!?!? Turtle man!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Turtle Man was fun.
We actually have a few beaver dams and active beavers in Fanno Cr. Denny Rd area and downstream past Hall Blvd. Along with some rat tail Nutrias. Joggers, strollers, dog walkers, bicycles, frisbee golf, Nimbus wetlands pond with plenty of bird watching. Good trail that takes you through Tigard if you are ambitious. Fanno Creek is my home river I guess as it is behind the houses across the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,260 Posts
So the ODFW wants you to turn in YOUR snapping turtle so they can make the soup?
They kill them. But the way they are required to kill them leaves the meat inedible. And they need to know where they are coming from so they can find the nests and dig those out before they hatch.

·
38,260 Posts
Turtle Man was fun.
We actually have a few beaver dams and active beavers in Fanno Cr. Denny Rd area and downstream past Hall Blvd. Along with some rat tail Nutrias. Joggers, strollers, dog walkers, bicycles, frisbee golf, Nimbus wetlands pond with plenty of bird watching. Good trail that takes you through Tigard if you are ambitious. Fanno Creek is my home river I guess as it is behind the houses across the street.

My home river was Ash creek in Metzger growing up. Many an adventure on that creek. Sometimes wonder how we didn't drown when we white water rafted during the floods in an old, half flat army surplus rubber raft. Found a dead beaver one day and we were poking it with sticks because, you know, sticks when we heard a very deep growl just above our heads. Mr (or Mrs) Bobcat was unhappy that we were poking its dead beaver with our sticks.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
They kill them. But the way they are required to kill them leaves the meat inedible. And they need to know where they are coming from so they can find the nests and dig those out before they hatch.
I never understood why they kill things that way. Same with the sea lions. What a waste of all that meat. They could simply shoot it in the head, freeze it, fly it out to AK and feed the poor polar bears with the sea lion carcasses. Instead, let's pump it full of drugs! ODFin'W at its finest, eh?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Turtle Man was fun.

Beavers !Dont say “Nothing”around Beavers

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I believe in Steve Rinella's book, "The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine" he mentions keeping the live turtle in a fresh clean water for several days to get the pond smell out of the meat before you butcher. I think in his cookbook he has a cleaning guide for it.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I believe in Steve Rinella's book, "The Scavenger's Guide to Haute Cuisine" he mentions keeping the live turtle in a fresh clean water for several days to get the pond smell out of the meat before you butcher. I think in his cookbook he has a cleaning guide for it.
It’s true I did that ,had to buy turtle food though , the turtles were choking on the food ,so I would have to smack them on the back of the shell ,It was terrible ,found out they became shell shocked 😳😡

·
Registered
482 Posts
Used to trap them when I was a kid in the Midwest. Trap was a mesh material that was shaped like a barrel. Tossed in chunks of carp and a couple glugs of cod liver oil in a coffee can hung inside at water line. Hot summer night's were the best, could hear them groaning at night. 32 pounds was biggest. Got 20 cents a pound! Yes, on different kinds of meat. If I put 3 in a barrel, they would stack themselves and escape. And don't think they are SLOW! They can really motor! Used to sit on the lawn and watch them, my lab had fun corraling them before they made it back to match.
And if you think shad stink.... I got news for ya. My mother wouldn't let me in the house!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I like the way this thread is going so hate to interrupt it, but a small update on our find...
I did shoot a note to the invasive species coordinator at ODFW and they just thanked me for the dispatch job and asked for the exact coordinates for their database.
And, if you've ever wondered what a pile of what could have been 55 snapping turtlettes looks like:

·
38,260 Posts
I never understood why they kill things that way. Same with the sea lions. What a waste of all that meat. They could simply shoot it in the head, freeze it, fly it out to AK and feed the poor polar bears with the sea lion carcasses. Instead, let's pump it full of drugs! ODFin'W at its finest, eh?
I assure you it isn't their decision. Turtles have a weird physiology in that they can shut off the blood supply to different parts of their bodies so a simple shot doesn't work. And the seallions are not happy when they are caged and if you have to sedate them for your own safety, the other shot is easier and less messy than a gun. They aren't cows that are just going to stand there for the most part and let you plug them. And now that they will be handling Stellars, they have to worry about them breaking out of the enclosures or tipping over a truck traveling down the road when they thrash around.

And then there are the people that would prefer they weren't dispatched at all. They too have a say in it so there are very specific rules and protocols for their demise. None of them were made by the people that are actually doing the procedures

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I’ve never knowingly had turtle.

Now I’m craving turtle soup.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Built a few giant ponds for a vineyard where these snappers are .Snappers moved in destroyed the dams .I let the owner use a 22-250 ,he would wait for hours for the snapper to climb up on rocks and logs and then send the lead express 😳😂,The muskrats would swim the pond and get crunched he said .Also they really messed with spawning fish ,since when warm water pond fish are spawning the Snappers are just coming out of the Dens /nests where ever they winter/hibernate .Said it made a pretty cool splash and loud impact report👍🏻😎

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Found this one on my rural Washington County property, it was quite a few hundred yards from the water, it would have taken a long time to get where I found him, he sure was happy to see the water when I put him back.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts