IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kids found this gal traipsing down Fanno Creek trail - I think it might be the time of year they go cruising for nesting sites. This one (14lbs!) is destined for Cajun Sauce Piquante ala Hank Shaw. Between the snapping turtles, bullfrogs, louisiana swamp crawdads and largemouth bass they find - it would be a wonder if there was much aquatic native left in that stream. But there are, they also find brook lamprey, freshwater clams, signal crayfish, etc…

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The kids found this gal traipsing down Fanno Creek trail - I think it might be the time of year they go cruising for nesting sites. This one (14lbs!) is destined for Cajun Sauce Piquante ala Hank Shaw. Between the snapping turtles, bullfrogs, louisiana swamp crawdads and largemouth bass they find - it would be a wonder if there was much aquatic native left in that stream. But there are, they also find brook lamprey, freshwater clams, signal crayfish, etc… View attachment 956995
Never had turtle...Not sure I would eat one living in Fanno creek either lol. Prob the same one the police relocated a week back. Large mouth bass in fanno creek? That's a first for me...

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
The kids found this gal traipsing down Fanno Creek trail - I think it might be the time of year they go cruising for nesting sites. This one (14lbs!) is destined for Cajun Sauce Piquante ala Hank Shaw. Between the snapping turtles, bullfrogs, louisiana swamp crawdads and largemouth bass they find - it would be a wonder if there was much aquatic native left in that stream. But there are, they also find brook lamprey, freshwater clams, signal crayfish, etc… View attachment 956995
Nice 👍🏻,saves some ducks ,fish ,fingers and toes😳🤔.Guess they were pets at one time and released ,and are now a breeding population , great😡

·
Registered
863 Posts
[
Never had turtle...Not sure I would eat one living in Fanno creek either lol. Prob the same one the police relocated a week back. Large mouth bass in fanno creek? That's a first for me...
My neighbor caught a rainbow trout in Fanno last year .
/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
17,903 Posts
No alligators? Kind pet owners should just release them too when they outgrow the bathtub.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, maybe so. It's definitely not a loner though, they found a juvenile last year as did the neighbor kids. Properly taken care of...
Yes, they've caught several largemouth under the scholls bridge, maybe 7-8" max, also goldfish.

·
Registered
38,368 Posts
If you’re serious about turning it into dinner, pretty sure they’re protected. Cool find though. That’s a big one for sure.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I ate a big old snapping turtle I caught years ago when I was in Florida. Tasted kind of Beefy as I recall. The soft-shelled turtles we caught tasted different, white meat more like chicken.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Very, very delicious for making soup if a chef knows what he is doing. As a kid in Ohio I ran jug lines for them in local ponds. Baited big Kirby hooks I bought from Netcraft Catalogs with Bluegills. I got 50 cents a pound cleaned and the local chefs were always wanting more. There are more than six kinds of meat in a Snapper from the snowy white to very dark brown.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts