IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monster steely?

My cousin was getting a hair cut, when the guy in the next chair said hed caught a 24.5#, 39" steely near Longview(yesterday). He said he had it certified, and mentioned something about a record. Anyone hear that one? I do believe his claim but i dont think its close to a record.

[ 07-19-2003, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: Monster steely?

Trout, Steelhead 35 lbs 8 oz 1970 Columbia River Berdell Todd

I found this on the ODFW web site.

This is the official Oregon State Record.

Chris

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts

I have found that things heard in a barber shop are far more entertaining than in a women's beauty salon. :smile:

Maybe it is a Washington record, though?

Jen

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts

Washington State Steelhead Records

steelhead, summer-run 35.06 lbs Gilbert Pierson Snake River, Whitman Co. November 23, 1973

steelhead, winter-run 32.75 lbs Gene Maygra EF Lewis River, Clark Co. April 14, 1980

·
Registered
584 Posts

Weren't the Oregon and Washington winter-run records set on the same day, and weighed at the same store?

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts

Looks like Washington was 1973 and 1980 in the EFL and Snake, Oregon was 1970 in the Columbia. Could have been the same weigh station, though, since it doesn't show where the Oregon fish was caught.

[ 07-21-2003, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

Washington and Idaho's state records were caught on the same date. There's an old STS article on it. The anglers weighed the fish in at the same store.

·
Registered
66 Posts

I happened to be going into Bob's when the guy brought the fish in. It was a legitimate 24# finclipped fish on a certified scale and witnessed by several people. The guy caught it at the mouth of the cowlitz on a blue pirate U20 flatfish. Interestingly, the fish was very long for its girth, but certainly a beautiful chrome fish. Don't think it was a record, but certainly the steelhead of a lifetime.
TD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts