IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new ifisher and fisher in general but wanted to gather a few opinions on Mono vs Tuff line. 90% of my fishing will be trolling herring and other bait for fall and spring chinook. What do you use any why??? Thanks!

· Registered
6 Posts
My opinion is braided line for sure it doesn't make sense to use mono for main line it's obsolete although lots of old timers that i fish with or around refuse to use braid and insist that its rubbish.....and all you other guys mono has memory you have to replace it almost yearly and the most agreeable argument for pro-mono is is the stretch and give....but thats why you use a mono leader...
anyways just my thoughts

i use 80# braided main line
for both salmon and sturgeon

and leader berkley big game....or any decent mono remember that salmon aren't line shy
25-35# for springers and 35-50 for the fall run

if your gonna decide on braid make sure that you have a newer pole that has good eyes so your line wont frey

i'm partial to berkley im7's cheap(almost always on sell for 49.99 at either bi-mart or joes) and good quality(i've landed oversise sturgeon on my 7.9')

in any case whatever you use if you use it right i'm sure you'll catch fish good luck

· Registered
Fly
3,253 Posts
Not sure I am sold on it but I have heard braided will hold bad scents more so than mono. Guide I know claims his catch rate improved when he switched back to mono. Maybe it was a better year, mauybe he was a year better at fishin...... But I like braided when fishing heavy bottom lead and such. Try to run mono when just straight up trolling , but there's always the forget to switch the rod' , reels day.

· Registered
491 Posts
Braided on everything...herring rods, spinner rods, kwikfish rods, prawn rods, sturgeon rods, spinning rods...

Kwikfish rods = 50# Tuf...80lb leader...
herring rods = 40# Tuf...20-25 lb leader
sturgeon rods = 80# Tuf...135 lb leader
spin rods (side drifting/bobber jig) = 18# Tuf line 12# flouro leader...

I really like braided lines on my spin rods....bobber/jig rods...easy to mend and I get a positive hookset when at the end of the drift...there are so many advantages to braided...don't have time to name them all...caught fish I should have lost (ie...wrapped around a log...)

T.U.F. Line = More fish in the box...period

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Braided line when trolling..it cuts through the water better making for less line out to get to the same depth vs mono. Try having a rod with mono and a rod with a hybrid braided line and compare the angles of the lines into the water using the same weight on both. You will see that the mono will be further away from the boat. I like it especially when you need to troll faster or there is a strong current present. There are drawback to having the hybrid lines but overall I like it better. HT

· Registered
10,527 Posts
Braided all the way for me... here is what you have to consider using braided line or mono. Braid has a smaller diameter meaning you can use less weight with your biat. Braid tangles less and when it does tangle you can get the tangles out easier. Braid is easier to see - good for trolling! Braid has less stretch which helps you feel the bottom and fish.

Most people make the mistake of having a drag that is too tight when using braided line. Since there is no stretch you need a looser than normal drag allowing the fish to turn with the hooks - once the rod stays down with line peeling off pick up the rod, set the hook and then tighten the drag appropriately.

Oh ya, braid will last forever too - some of my reels have had the same line on them for 6 years!

Good luck :cheers:

· Registered
1,787 Posts
I personally prefer braid. I like its sensitivity, strength and lack of stretch. But, many of my good friends tell me that you will lose less fish on mono because it is more elastic and forgiving on operator error. They are probably right....I still like braid.

· Registered
339 Posts
I have braid on every rod, For Salmon I use about a 20ft buffer tied with a blood knot to the braid of about 25lb-30lb Mono. I think the Rod is way more important than the line and letting them take that herring down their throat!

· Registered
5,036 Posts
the most agreeable argument for pro-mono is is the stretch and give....but thats why you use a mono leader...
That isnt correct. Lets assume mono has a 1% stretch rate. If your running 60 inches of mono with a 1% strech, you have about half and inch of strech in that line. Now if your running 60 feet of mono with a 1% strech you've got about 6 feet of strech in that line.

I run mono when trolling for two reasons.

1) The mono line works much better in a downrigger clip and I use the same rods for ocean trolling that I use for tidewater trolling.

2) When I run a mix of rods in my boat, the mono rods always seem to outperform the braid rods.

· Registered
664 Posts
I use braid for sturgeon and like it for all the reasons above. A few years ago I switched my salmon rods over to braid but have since switched back. The reason for me was that one day I lost two fall salmon, on the same day, because somehow the braid had become loosely wound on the edges of the reel spool and the braid dug in. I'm sure this is a maintenance issue on my part but it's never happened with mono.

· Registered
10,935 Posts
Mono! Tuff line isn't as biodegradable as mono and mono's more giving for when the fish hammers the herring. My 2 cents. FF
Actually, monofilament isn't very biodegradable at all. Either one is bad stuff to throw into the bushes.

I prefer braid, and I catch as many fish as the next guy with it.

· Banned
19,821 Posts
Solid, deep penetrating hook sets, longevity, less drag in the water, impervious to sunlight, abrasion resistant, 50# Power Pro is the diameter of 12# mono.
It's a no brainer, braid is where it's at.:cheers:

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Mono has been dethroned for mainline!

I use 30lb Power pro on my drift rod. Change it once a year, so I save lots of money, I can feel the lightest bite, the thin diameter cuts through the water better thus allow a more natural drift, while using less lead. When that bite does happen, all that is needed is a flick of the wrist to drive that hook home!

Oh and I NEVER break off massive amounts of braid into the river. I always break off my leader, and even some days I use the same swivle all day.

Mono for leaders, Braid for mainline

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Mono for 95% of my fishing. The only time I use braid is when I'm jigging for salmon. The lack of stretch and small diameter work well in this application.

I still haven't found a braid I really like though. I can't seem to find a braid with enough body. The braid is constantly wrapping around the rod tip.

I've tried Fireline,Tuff-line and Tuff-line XP. My next attempt is going to be with the Suffix braid.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.