IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am the first to admit that there is a tradeoff for leaving Eugene at 6am, and for getting out to the Tuna grounds late in the morning (like 10:15ish...)

Maverick had uh... many in the box when we arrived, and many more when we all scooted in. I took some tunaginity away x 2, and ended the day with just over 2 fish per angler. What I saw was interesting...

Sporadic jumpers that don't take trolled clones, swimbaits producing almost half of the fish hooked, and one bunch of commercial jigboats doing not much.

It is time for the Marc McMethod., methinks. Thanks to Serious Fun and Maverick for vectoring me in on their fun, and for all those out there for being each other's wingmen. :flowered:

·
Premium Member
8,746 Posts
Sporadic jumpers that don't take trolled clones, swimbaits producing almost half of the fish hooked, and one bunch of commercial jigboats doing not much.
I've had several trips already this year during which trolled swimbaits produced better than clones for at least part of the day. I now always carry the swimbaits in the boat and when the bite on the clones slows down or doesn't materialize, I put out at least one swimbait, a couple of times we went to all swimbaits. I find it helps some especially when the morning bite slows down. Also gotta say though that I'm not bringing in really big numbers either, but still respectable numbers.

ron m

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
We troll them from 2-6 knots. Mixed in with other types of gear I usually stay between 4-6. There is no patent speed. Main thing is to get them on straight so they run true. If they do not run straight they will pop up to the surface or not run properly. If you want to fish a little deeper try tying on a 2-3 oz. torpedo weight with a 3' length of 30-40# mono.

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
We troll them from 2-6 knots. Mixed in with other types of gear I usually stay between 4-6. There is no patent speed. Main thing is to get them on straight so they run true. If they do not run straight they will pop up to the surface or not run properly. If you want to fish a little deeper try tying on a 2-3 oz. torpedo weight with a 3' length of 30-40# mono.
Do you mean like as in a dropper weight? or inline?

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
Do you mean like as in a dropper weight? or inline?
I think he means put the Jighead on the Swimbait straight, & inline with the weight.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Thanks Ken, Inline is what I meant. We tried this a few years back on a trip with Mark Mc and Glen. It worked well especially when we slowed the boat down and they swung down deep. It seems to cut down on the tangles too.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Thanks Ken, Inline is what I meant. We tried this a few years back on a trip with Mark Mc and Glen. It worked well especially when we slowed the boat down and they swung down deep. It seems to cut down on the tangles too.
I'm gunna try some of that action. I've been experimenting with larger jig heads to get down farther when casted. This is the time of year for it.

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
I have used 16oz trolling sinkers inline with clones with success also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts