IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working on the lawn and garden all summer, we seem to have a family (or village!) of moles and/or some other subterranian pest.

I want them gone yesterday and I don't care how.

I know there have been a ton of posts on this topic, I'm not looking for advice on how to get rid of them, I'm offering a bounty...

If you or someone you know is interested in some cold hard cash in hand and can guarantee these things GONE in 7 days or less (without blowing up my house or poisoning us out of it), I'll ante up. I'm very close to putting the house on the market and I need this mess GONE now. I don't have time to play Bill Murray in Caddyshack!

Help?:pray:

·
Registered
668 Posts
[ I don't have time to play Bill Murray in Caddyshack!

Help?:pray:[/quote]

"Come here little gopher" :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
460 Posts
My way probably won't work for you (12 ga.) But the lady I bought our house from said her husband use to take an old lawnmower with the blade removed and attach a hose to the exhaust. He would pack down all the holes but one and let the mower run thru a tank of gass. She said it worked pretty well. I enjoy the stalk and shoot myself.

Good luck

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a problem with the 12 ga. method, but yeah, the neighbors might... and the deputies would probably take exception to it.

Thanks for that Lawn mower suggestion. We might have to try that one. But we've already tried bombing them. Doesn't seem to faze 'em... so I have to assume they've got a network of dens/tunnels that we can't detect.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I doubt you can get rid of them in 7 days.But you can get rid of them.Itll just take a little more time.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
I've had good luck with 2 methods:

Method 1:
Pack down ALL holes and ensure dirt goes down in the hole sometime late in the afternoon. Then check on the holes about every 20 min. When you see one of the holes raised back up again, you'll know that the mole is awake and "working". Stand over the hole with a shovel for about 15 minutes. Usually I will see the dirt begin to raise again within the 15min timeframe. As soon as it moves, I scoop down with the shovel and dump as much dirt out on the ground as I can... Usually the offender is just lieing there in a daze. One good wack with the shovel... Problem solved.

Method 2:
I've had very good luck with poison lately, but only the expensive kind. About $50 for a pack of it. Just put a small piece of it in the tunnel while wearing gloves. The glove both protect you from the poision and also keep your scent off of it. One pack should last you a year and treat multiple infestations of them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Try this..

• 1/4 cup castor oil
  • 2 Tablespoons of liquid detergent soap​
  • Blend the two together in a blender (they won't mix properly otherwise)​
  • Add 6 Tablespoons water.
  • Blend again.​
  • Store this mix in a container till needed.​
When you are ready to apply the solution to the area where the moles are active:
Mix 2 tablespoons of the solution into 1 gallon of water. Pour it into the problem area (all over the affected area, not just down​

The theory goes, Moles don't like the taste of Castor Oil. Apply every 3 Months.

Most effective means:

Traps

Second most effective and most fun; Shotgun

Third most effective: Above Formula

Beyond that: Resistance is Futile....​

·
Registered
635 Posts
I feel your pain. I've been using the 12 gauge method until last week when my neighbor had a hearth attack (not related!) In consideration of his triple by-pass I promised not to discharge in the future.

So I chatted with a friend and he mentioned his favorite method. 20 lb cylinder of propane. If you've got a crap pot cooker remove the end of the hose at the cooker. Place it in a hole and cover all of them. Turn it on and let it run its course for the entire cylinder. Propane is heavier than air so it settles down rather than rising. Keep on the watch for holes reopening while you're doing this and

I've never tried this myself but will soon. Rumor has it this can be pretty flammable so keep the cigs, matches, etc... away.

·
Registered
14,194 Posts

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I used the poison that I bought at Bi-Mart. Wore gloves, doubled up on the amount. Treated multiple holes. 3 days later no activity and none since. I think I only had 2 but this worked for me. Think I still have well over half left. If you want it, it's yours.

FYI, When I was young my sister's boyfriend's dad used gasoline. Poured many gallons down the holes and 20 min later lit it. Took out a neighbors sidewalk about 100 yds away. Mole issue was also solved. Can't recommend this gasoline method.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the poison that I bought at Bi-Mart. Wore gloves, doubled up on the amount. Treated multiple holes. 3 days later no activity and none since. I think I only had 2 but this worked for me. Think I still have well over half left. If you want it, it's yours.

FYI, When I was young my sister's boyfriend's dad used gasoline. Poured many gallons down the holes and 20 min later lit it. Took out a neighbors sidewalk about 100 yds away. Mole issue was also solved. Can't recommend this gasoline method.
:laugh:

Thanks Steve. I have some poison, but am worried about using it because of the stupid cat. (no cat hater comments please). Maybe I'll go ahead and try it first... and if that doesn't work, I'll check into John's suggestion - but honestly, that scares me too.

Actually, the cat is good at "pointing". so I know when there's activity and can use the shovel method - although I keep missing - or something. The soil is clay, so unless you hit the tunnel just right... well, slam a shovel into a rock sometime and you get the picture. So usually, I try to just poke them through the ground instead of digging them out. :redface: Besides, I don't really have time to hang around watching mole tracks.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Maybe you could saturate the ground around the area with water. That should help with the hard clay and also attract the moles who will come to eat the worms etc. Not sure what to say about the rocks. Just have to be lucky.

As far as missing goes... When i've seen the mound begin to move, I carefully place the tip of the shovel down right in front of the hole. (exactly where I want to dig). I'm careful not to make any vibrations that the mole might detect. Then I wait until I'm sure he is pushing the dirt back up and I jump with all my weight on the shovel to get a really good scoop..

You can also try a pick axe. My father has had luck with it and seems to work better with rocks. You just have to make sure the tip goes where the mole is. My experience is that the shovel will cover a greater area.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe you could saturate the ground around the area with water. That should help with the hard clay and also attract the moles who will come to eat the worms etc. Not sure what to say about the rocks. Just have to be lucky.

As far as missing goes... When i've seen the mound begin to move, I carefully place the tip of the shovel down right in front of the hole. (exactly where I want to dig). I'm careful not to make any vibrations that the mole might detect. Then I wait until I'm sure he is pushing the dirt back up and I jump with all my weight on the shovel to get a really good scoop..

You can also try a pick axe. My father has had luck with it and seems to work better with rocks. You just have to make sure the tip goes where the mole is. My experience is that the shovel will cover a greater area.
I used a fireplace poker this morning, pretty sure I missed.

As for placing poison and covering with a bucket... I'd have to have about 100 buckets to cover it all. I think I'll just keep the cat inside for a few days.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
An article I read recently about moles explained that a mole can dig Fifteen feet in one hour. The problem with getting rid of them is that they have major networks of tunnels way below the surface along with many side tunnels. The tunnels go a long way so Gas, water and other WMD's can't reach them all. Too bad you can't fit a trail cam into a moles hole. Or maybe you can ? ........

A guy could get really carried away with this stuff. :grin:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
motomco, mole killer it is what we use here at work, it is poison shaped like a little worm you just put it in the holes and they do the rest I am not sure where you can get it around here maybe home depot? but I know it works. one worm is a lethal dose.....wear gloves!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The best thing I found was to cover all the holes but the freshest one, pour in some sulfur powder and torch it with a propane weed burner. We used to get the sulfur powder at the feed store.

Then about a week later a new crew would move in :shrug:

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
If you have clay soil, cover the holes except on and put your garden hose in one and hook to the neighbors hose bib and let er run for a few hours till all the holes are running clear water. Problem will be solved.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts