IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older metal roofed mobile home that I need to reseal the roof on. I want to go to one of the elastomeric coatings instead of the tar and silver stuff but I'm not sure which to go for. I've seen prices ranging from $60 to $120 for 5 gal. Anybody have advice, experience, etc?

· Registered
231 Posts
Snow roof, silver seal, kool seal my experience is they all work to a reasonable degree. The real key to these metal roof resealings is the prep. Any old sealer that is loose needs to be removed and the area to be sealed should be scrubbed with a mixture of white vinigar and water or tsp and water to clean any film or oils to make sure the new sealer can stick.

Most of these sealers can be applied direct from the can, you should typically stir the can before attempting to apply. An old 3" or 4" paint brush, (you don't like for painting) works pretty good, wear disposible gloves and old clothes you will get it on you for sure.

Be careful walking on the roof try to avoid standing in between the trusses and avoid standing directly on any seams.

If you have larges cracks in the old sealer but it seems to be stuck pretty good, use some fiberglass dry wall tape in that area and imbed the tape in the sealer (to bridge the gap) or it will typically crack right thru the new sealer in the same spot.

The J rail on the edge typically has a whole series of hex head screws and should also be cleaned and recoated for sure.

Good luck

· Registered
8,344 Posts
All good advice.

Prep is the key.

If you decide to coat the whole roof and not just the seems you will notice a difference in how hot it gets inside.

Stir the sealer well,but you can also have it put on a shaker for awhile.

· Registered
5,940 Posts
The only things I would add to the advice listed above is to put more than one coat on it. I personally would put a minimum of (3) coats. You will want to wait for them to dry betweeen coats though. And if your metal surface permits, I would use a paint roller whenever possible and a brush around the vents and such. The temperature when applying your coating can make a big difference also. I would pay attention to the range limits that are usually listed on the can.
And of course as was said before, prep is indeed the key. The better the prep, the better the end result.

Good luck!

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prep work has been going on this week. I've been up on the roof until it got too warm then I found things inside to do. Of course it decided to rain today:frown:. I got all the old stuff that was even a little loose scraped off and swept the roof off but I was going to scrub it clean today. Maybe I still will if it stops pouring for a little bit. When you do multiple coats do you just make them thinner or do you have to use extra? The calculators say to use about 10 gallons for my 70x14ft trailer and say at least two coats is recommended, is that two coats from 10 gallons or 20 gallons? Luckily it is a smooth enough roof with minimal obstacles so a roller will do most of it.

· Registered
1,390 Posts
:yeahthat: What he said

I have been a fan of the Kool Seal but it's hard for me to find.
Which ever brand you use look at their products for doing the prep work; including but not limited to primer, patching compounds, fiberglass matt (about a 6" wide roll of fiberglass cloth for reinforcing edges and large holes) and application tools.
And by all means have fun :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.